Which Can You Brew It recipes do you recommend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerBraumeister

Reaction score
Hello

I live in Europe and the only US craft brew I can get is some Brooklyn Brewery, Samuel Adams and Sierra Nevada stuff.

So far the only CYBI recipe I have brewed is the Dead Guy (with hop and malt substitiutions due to availability issues) and it is my best brew to date.

I actually bottled a second batch yesterday... :mug:

So, which one should I try next?

Prost!

Can you tell us what are to common ingredients that have been brewing with and we then can tell you what is possible in the west coast style. It's just easier to do it that way then you don't have to make substitutions that may not make sense.

Thanks for your answers!
The hops I can get (without ordering from the US) are:

Hallertauer Perle
Hallertauer Tradition
Hallertau Hersbrucker
Hallertauer
Saazer CZ
Spalt Select
Tettnanger
Cascade
Goldings
Safir
Challenger
Brewers Gold
Fuggle
Magnum
Northern Brewer
Styrian Goldings
Herkules
Hallertau Nugget
Target
Cascade

As for malts I can get the whole Weyermann sortiment.

I like tasty bears, be it the sweet coffee taste from Sam Smiths taddy porter,a hop explosion from an IPA or Belgian esters.

My favorite from CYBI is the "Osker Blues Gordon", the key is getting the 37 loveabond crisp malt from England. I have plans for the "flossmore station pullman brown" and I think you got to try a "Pliney the Elder" clone with all cascade hops, that's the definitive 'West Coast Ale". (that's not a CYBI recipe though)
I have very good luck with any recipe from "Denny Conn" there allways great.

I've done both the Black Butte Porter and the Terrapin Rye Pale Ale, both are very good recipes. Unfortunately, I can't get the original beers to compare with. The Nogne 100 they did recently sounds like a fun one to brew also.

Thanks for your replies!

I think I will definitely try the mirror pond, I have done 6 APA brews to date and this style is what gets the most compliments...

What about Arrogant bastard?
Is that a beer you have to try before you make 6 gallons of something similar to it?
(I dont really care whether the recipe is spot on or not, as I have never tasted the real thing)

I'm going to pipe in on the Gordon clone as well. I did a batch of it a while ago and it was received very well by friends and family. Mainly the reason the clone is so good is the original. Gordon is a fantastic IPA, or very hoppy American Red Ale. The only problem with brewing it in Europe is the dry hops. Amarillo is what really makes this beer.

I haven't brewed it by Jamil Zainescheff recently tweated that Brewing Network Chad's version of the Shakespeare Stout clone was a 50 point beer. If you aren't very familiar with BJCP judging, scores above 45 are extremely rare (as in, do not occur in most competitions). In BCS Jamil said he had only had one beer he would have given a 50, so Jamil was fairly impressed with this beer.

You should be able to get close to the grain bill with Weyermann malts. It wouldn't hurt if you could score some English crystal and chocolate though. The hops are all cascade.

Is that a beer you have to try before you make 6 gallons of something similar to it?
(I dont really care whether the recipe is spot on or not, as I have never tasted the real thing)

Personally I love this beer, can't believe I haven't thought about making a clone of it. Yes, it is a very interesting beer...of course any beer that actually says on the bottle "you will not like this beer" always sounds like a challenge to me...and it is a challenge I always win with Arrogant Bastard

If you can get the hops for it I would recommend the Green Flash West Coast IPA. Soooooooo good and very representation of a West Coast IPA. Jamil raves about this one too.

Did the eight mile alt, and its already great after mere two weeks in the bottle!

I currently have the Mirror Pond in the fermenter and will be doing the shakespeare stout when MP has finished.

My LHBS just started stocking Amarillo and Willamette...

What do you suggest I should try next?

I made Jamil's Arrogant Bastard recipe. Even though it wasn't spot on the original, it was still a great beer in it's own right. Didn't see Chinook as a variety available to you, but even if you have to special order it, you won't be disappointed.

I made Jamil's Arrogant Bastard recipe. Even though it wasn't spot on the original, it was still a great beer in it's own right. Didn't see Chinook as a variety available to you, but even if you have to special order it, you won't be disappointed.
Thanks, a few months ago I had already constructed a recipe with Northern brewer and Target as subs for Chinook. If I get decent shipping rates for hops from the US I might just go ahead and try the real thing:mug:

That recipe was not considered cloned FYI. It is being rebrewed soon and will probably be on a CYBI episode in August or September.

Eric

Well the Eight mile alt is the best beer I have ever had period!!

Ill be brewing it again along with the Dead Guy clone recipe.

I need a third recipe, preferably with amarillo, as I can get it now and have never tried it.

What do you recommend? Oskar Blues????

Back