Which burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rferguson61

Reaction score
What type of burner is best? I'm slowly building my all grain system and I'm going to buy a burner but don't know which is best...banjo or jet. Also I was looking on instawares.com and they have a 23 tip and a 32 tip...same specs...same btu range... Whats the difference?

It burns perfectly clean without an exaggerated flame height. It also spreads the flame front evenly across the bottom of the kettle. Well worth consideration.

What makes that one better? I think I have one of those at a friends house where I used to live

Good heat distribution and excellent flame control at any level. Puts out more than enough heat for 12 gallon+ batches. IMO, the Banjo puts out too much heat even at low flame levels. The multi-jet burners are designed to run WOT and burn dirty at anything less. They have no way to adjust the air/fuel ratio as most other burners do and they burn too hot.

The BG-12 is the best all purpose burner IMO.

This is the burner I got for my brew stand http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/burners/cast-iron-banjo-burner-burner-only.html
2995-picture-204.jpg
[/IMG]
3165-burner-grate.jpg
[/IMG]ther quiet and through off alot of heat, the downside is they weigh 15 lbs. When trying to decide which burner to go with I started reading the thread here in HBT and saw alot of complants about the jet burners being hard to adjust, they had to reduce the amount of burner tips, lowering the flame and the noise, these things are loud and in a brew day your talking 3 hours or better of listening to something that sounds like a tortedo heater, I used to heat my garage with a torpedo heater and after 20 minutes I was tired of listening to it, I heat with wood now.

Catt how do you think the BG-12 would work with NG? I am thinking of building a single tier stand and was contemplating using those burners.

Catt how do you think the BG-12 would work with NG? I am thinking of building a single tier stand and was contemplating using those burners.

The BG-12 burner should work just fine with NG, although you would need to get an NG orifice for it or drill out the high pressure orifice that comes with it. NG doesn't burn quite as hot as propane, but you should have power to spare I would think.

Back