Which burner stand for keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebag22

Reaction score
I am looking at propane style burner and stand... a full keggle weighs about 100 pounds and I need something that can handle the weight without modification.

I second the SQ-14...solid stand and the burner is big enough to do 10 gallon batches. Actually, I upgraded to a bigger natural gas burner but I still use the same stand. It's a good buy.

I am looking to upgrade to the SQ14 but I see they have change the design. The new design appears to have the burner 4" or more from the bottom of the pot !!

Anyone ever modify the new SQ 14 to raise the burner? I would like to avoid any unnecessary equipment mods.

I second the SQ-14...solid stand and the burner is big enough to do 10 gallon batches. Actually, I upgraded to a bigger natural gas burner but I still use the same stand. It's a good buy.

Which burned did you upgrade to as I will probably connect to NG. Did you have to modify the stand to allow the new burner to fit?

I modded it with a NG jet burner. It needs to be about 6" or more below the bottom of the kettle. My solution is FUGLY, but it works. View pictures at your own risk! Eventually, this will all go into a stand and that's why I didn't put a lot of effort into making it pretty.

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

Not sure about the make and model, but it is a 23-tip NG jet burner and I got it here: http://www.cpapc.com/store/23-Tip-Round-Nozzle-Jet-Burner-natural-gas-P469C0.aspx

It accepts a 1/2" male NPT pipe, so I used a section of 1/2"x18" black pipe already threaded from Lowe's, along with a brass gas ball valve. Fair warning about this setup: some people have had trouble getting this burner to run clean, some people like me have had zero problems. I believe this has to do with inadequate gas pressure at the burner. If your attachment point to your house's natural gas is far away from your city connection, and/or the pipe is very small you may not have sufficient pressure to run this burner cleanly. If you have any doubt, go with the 10-tip burner which is more than adequate, or go with a Hurricane burner with the NG conversion kit from William's Brewing: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/HURRICANE_CONVERSION_VALVE_P2214C87.cfm

very nice, butg...looking for something off the shelf without modification. If I could weld I wouldn't be asking...

Not sure about the make and model, but it is a 23-tip NG jet burner and I got it here: http://www.cpapc.com/store/23-Tip-Round-Nozzle-Jet-Burner-natural-gas-P469C0.aspx

TwoHeadsBrewing,

What are you using to make your connection from the hard plumbed gas line to your 1/2 inch gas pipe on the burner? Is that a flexible gas hose or something similar? I have looked at flexible gas hose but it's so damn expensive. I know some use makeshift tubing but I'm quite worried about safety issues with this. Also, how far is your burner from your gas source?

TwoHeadsBrewing,

What are you using to make your connection from the hard plumbed gas line to your 1/2 inch gas pipe on the burner? Is that a flexible gas hose or something similar? I have looked at flexible gas hose but it's so damn expensive. I know some use makeshift tubing but I'm quite worried about safety issues with this. Also, how far is your burner from your gas source?

Disclaimer: Working with NG is dangerous and you should only do this yourself if you are professionally qualified to do so.

That being said, I'm using 1/2"x20 red rubber utility hose from OSH, the super thick walled kind. I have a barbed connection -> 1/2" NPT on each end that is connected to a 1/2" brass ball valve. I use a 3/4" SS hose clamp to hold everything together and make a seal. I tested this using a spraybottle with starsan to check for any leaks. From the T next to the water heater, my burner sits about 22ft away. The 3/4" supply line coming out of the wall is about 80 ft. away from the whole house gas pressure regulator and meter.

I am looking at propane style burner and stand... a full keggle weighs about 100 pounds and I need something that can handle the weight without modification.

Too bad you are in VA Beach... I have one to sell that is awesome and much more sturdy than any of the ones listed on Northern Brewer. It would probably cost too much to send.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked this guy up, http://morebeer.com/view_product/15766/102213/Burner_-_Camp_Chef_Cooker_60000_btu , and love it. The stand makes draining easy. I have not done a 10g batch yet. but it seems to have pleanty and then some. I barely have the valve open for a 7g rolling boil. I get about 4-5 batches out of a Blue Rhino tank. Heating sparge and boiling. I could not be happier.

I do use a keggle by the way, fits great. Room to spare.

Thanks. I am going to be using natural gas and will probably use the hurricane burner. I just need to find a stand that can accomodate both a keggle and that burner...

Too bad you are in VA Beach... I have one to sell that is awesome and much more sturdy than any of the ones listed on Northern Brewer. It would probably cost too much to send.

I may be coming up your way the sunday or monday after thanksgiving...
you have pics and a price in mind?

Back