Which Base Malt...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for stating the [fairly] obvious. ;)

...in brewing parlance, or at least HBT parlance, 2-row refers to the American 2-row pale malt (and the techniques and cultivars used therein), while Maris Otter refers to the English 2-row pale malt (and the techniques and cultivars used therein). Highlighting the fact that they're both 2-row -- or, indeed, reducing brewing malts down to a basic, physiological aspect of the plant they came from -- is akin to saying "Young's Double Chocolate and Guiness are both stouts, end of story."

(Putting on my own pedantic hat...) Maris Otter is such a unique strain that the malt carries its name. "Maris Otter" is not the name of a town or company, but the specific variety of barley used in its production. It's also floor malted, as opposed to kilned. All these things amount to a product that is notably different when compared to other 2-rows, or other malts in general -- which is why I asked the original question.

Yep, not to mention that had I read through the whole thread I would have seen someone else already posted the same info.

Back