Which Backup DME Do Keep On-Hand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
Which backup DME do you keep on hand when your AG batches just don't meet starting gravity?

Is there a 'generic' malt extract that you go to, regardless of style, to suppliment your AG wort when needed?

I prefer a sweeter maltier beer ... what do you suggest?

And when you need to suppliment to bring up SG, how much do you typically need? In other words, how much should I buy for my first AG batch?

I usually keep light or x-light DME on hand in general. It's a good all purpose DME. It's typically made with 2-row malt, or at least a high percentage of 2-row, which is less likely to have an impact on the flavor of the beer. Typically, amber or dark DME is going to be made with a variety specialty malts in addition to the base malts.

The lightest one you can find.

Personally, I mainly use DME for starters. I heard once that weizen DME makes healthier starters. Not sure how true that is but, I have weizen DME on hand at all times.

I keep light/extra light DME on hand to use in making my starters. I don't use DME to 'boost' the OG of a brew. As long as it's close enough to what I was going for, or enough to make a decent brew, I just go with it. Since using the BIAB (in a pot with enough space) I've had good conversion efficiency for my brews.

I'm almost out of the 1 pound bag of DME I picked up last... Considering getting a 3 pound bag (less per pound that way. If I do, I'll probably break it up into a couple of 1 pound bags, and the rest into ~1/2 cup packages. That way, it's very fresh (vacuum sealed bags) and I won't need to worry about it going 'stale'...

I am a cheap ass so I keep corn sugar on hand. $3 for 2.5lbs when I need a bump I just toss this in.

Briess Pilsen DME. I can't remember the conversion formula for boosting gravity. It's in "Designing Great Beers." I can look it up when I get home from work if no one else responds.

I only have DME in stock for making starters. If my OG is low....so what. It's still beer and it's all grain. Not to knock anyone who adds DME....just the way my brain works for me I guess.

Back