Which auto syphon to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XIL_Brew

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been looking at some auto syphons, and found two on Amazon:

4.5 Litre Auto Syphon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004KM4NHK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

and

23 Litre Auto Syphon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0022QGW8O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The problem is that one is apparently for demijohns, the other for buckets/large vessels.

As it happens, I have both... :)

Anyone used these and can explain if there is actually any real difference, ie. can I buy one and use it for both my demijohn and my bucket?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it depends on how fast you want to get your brew siphoned over. I think I would go with the smaller one for fear of the larger one creating too much turbulence and risking oxidation.

I think I would go with the smaller one for fear of the larger one creating too much turbulence and risking oxidation.

They won't create turbulence or oxidize if used correctly!

XIL, I read the specs on the 23L. I'm not sure if you noticed, but it says this;
Please Note For Use With Demijohns You Will Require The 4.5Litre Autosyphon.

Yeah, I read those specs too, but that's really my issue - I was wondering if anyone actually has used these, because I can't quite understand how one syphon shouldn't be useful for both a bucket and a demijohn... :)

The only thing I can think of is that the bucket-syphon is thinner, and can fit into the relatively small hole of the bucket (where the air lock is) - but if that's the case, it will fit into the demijohn too... :confused:

Edit: Just a thought - maybe the numbers are referencing the size of the container? and they are using a small demijohn?

The listings don't make sense. In the states we have 3 autosipons. Two are the same length but with different diameters (3/8 or 1/2 inch) and are long enough to use in a standard 5 gallon (20 liter) carboy or 6.5 gallon fermentation bucket. The third is a short, stubby version made for use in one gallon (4 liter) jugs. So I don't understand why they suggest the 4.5 liter one is for demijohns which I thought were 15 gallon glass wine vessels. If you are working with 5 gallon batches in a 5 to 6.5 gallon carboys or buckets I would get the 23 liter version. I don't believe the 4.5 or 23 liter designation has anything to do with flow rate, it should be related to the length of the autosyphon tube (not the vinyl tubing, but the rigid tube.)

Yeah, I read those specs too, but that's really my issue - I was wondering if anyone actually has used these, because I can't quite understand how one syphon shouldn't be useful for both a bucket and a demijohn... :)

The only thing I can think of is that the bucket-syphon is thinner, and can fit into the relatively small hole of the bucket (where the air lock is) - but if that's the case, it will fit into the demijohn too... :confused:

Edit: Just a thought - maybe the numbers are referencing the size of the container? and they are using a small demijohn?

I believe the diameter of the 23L is to wide to fit into a demijohn. Just guessing..

The listings don't make sense. In the states we have 3 autosipons. Two are the same length but with different diameters (3/8 or 1/2 inch) and are long enough to use in a standard 5 gallon (20 liter) carboy or 6.5 gallon fermentation bucket. The third is a short, stubby version made for use in one gallon (4 liter) jugs. So I don't understand why they suggest the 4.5 liter one is for demijohns which I thought were 15 gallon glass wine vessels. If you are working with 5 gallon batches in a 5 to 6.5 gallon carboys or buckets I would get the 23 liter version. I don't believe the 4.5 or 23 liter designation has anything to do with flow rate, it should be related to the length of the autosyphon tube (not the vinyl tubing, but the rigid tube.)

What we (or just in Czech?) call a demijohn is pretty much any sized glass carboy - I've got one 6.5 gallon one for primary, a 5 gallon for secondary, plus a couple of smaller ones I want to use for "split testing" batches.

I'm glad (sort of) that you think it doesn't make sense. That was my first thought too. :)

I believe the diameter of the 23L is to wide to fit into a demijohn. Just guessing..

That would make it huuge... I guess the diameter of the demijohn is at least 50mm.

And just to make it more fun, the second image on both syphons shows a guy... with a demijohn...

I have 6.5 gallon buckets, 5 gallon carboys and 6.5 gallon carboys and the 3/8" and the 1/2' both fit the holes in the carboys. You remove the bucket lid when racking your beer, not the small rubber hole that holds the airlock. Hope this helps, Castermmt

I have 6.5 gallon buckets, 5 gallon carboys and 6.5 gallon carboys and the 3/8" and the 1/2' both fit the holes in the carboys. You remove the bucket lid when racking your beer, not the small rubber hole that holds the airlock. Hope this helps, Castermmt

Yup, that helps as in I agree completely - I'm still stumped as to the difference between the two syphons...!

There's a cynical part of me that believes they want me to buy two of them for no reason... :)

So, just to clarify, I managed to get hold of the seller, and the difference between the two auto syphons is that one is short, one is long.

The issue was probably that here in Czech, a demijohn is just any sized glass carboy, but in the UK (and US?) a demijohn is usually around 5 litres...

Thanks for all the input, and sorry for not going directly to the seller first....

Back