Which and where to buy faucets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I want to buy 4 faucets for my keezer and see all these different options...what do I want?

I won't have a stout on tap for quite some time, so I know I don't want a stout faucet....but there seem to be brass/SS and normal faucets for $17 and then ventmatic or some kind of more expensive option for usually around $30. Worth the extra? Why?

The more expensive ones are forward sealing so they will not get stuck shut like the cheaper counter parts do. Most people say if you go cheap you will eventually upgrade so you may as well get the good ones to start with.

Shank Tail Piece is Nickel Plated Brass. Does the shank metal matter? (Sounds like I should just go w/ SuperProd all around regardless).

GO WITH THE FORWARD SEALING!!!

I went with the "regular faucets" because I didn't know any better and am planning on freakin' replacing the damn things in the next week or so. Unless you're drinking every day, the regular faucets will get a small amount of beer in them, dry up and stick. Then you have to arm wrestle the damn things to get 'em open and cleared...

... not to mention the sanitiation issues that all starts.

Go forward sealing... the extra few bucks are definitely worth it.

Opinions seem to vary on this. Some people feel strongly that the only things that the beer should touch should be stainless steel or beverage line. Some people feel that plated shanks/tail pieces are fine. I've heard some say that the plating inside the shanks is not very good, which is one reason they go for stainless.

I'm in a similar position and still haven't made up my mind, but I'm leaning toward paying the extra and getting stainless shanks and tail pieces. I'd rather buy these parts once.

Opinions seem to vary on this. Some people feel strongly that the only things that the beer should touch should be stainless steel or beverage line. Some people feel that plated shanks/tail pieces are fine. I've heard some say that the plating inside the shanks is not very good, which is one reason they go for stainless.

I'm in a similar position and still haven't made up my mind, but I'm leaning toward paying the extra and getting stainless shanks and tail pieces. I'd rather buy these parts once.

I bought all stainless and ventmatic faucets for the same reason, I only wanted to buy the parts and build my kegerator once. Some people have issues with plated shanks and standard faucets, some don't. I just didn't want to mess with it.

there is a difference between perlicks and ventmatics when it comes to forward seal faucets. ventmatic is 100% machined where perlicks use some cast parts. the machined surface allows for less foaming out of the tap. both will likely last your lifetime. the down side to ventmatics is the cost a little more than the perlicks and are now in short supply. the upside is they will probably never need repaired and are easier to clean than the perlicks(smoother surfaces, less gunk can stick). If you want to see the difference between the two austinhomebrew has pics of the business end side by side. so in the end its up to personal preference as to which you want. Like many others have already stated if you dont get forward sealing now you probably will in the future.

ventmatics look 30 times better than the perlicks, but i can't give an opinion on the actual function of the perlicks, as i am a ventmatic man

Other than Austin Homebrew Supply, is there another place to buy Ventmatics?

I hear you can buy these things direct from Ventmatic-- but I can't find their website/contact information

I was under the impression that Ventmatics is no longer making these faucets.

I picked up a pair of brass perlicks for a good price on ebay. New seals too. Have not had a chance to try them out as I'm not quite set up yet. Soon!

I have a regular chrome faucet that is over 25 years old. The only thing I do to it is take it apart every several months to clean it good and I run cleaner thru it after each keg. I also had to change the gaskets twice. I have never had an issue with it sticking.

I could not find anywhere else to buy ventmatics. according to Forrest from austinhomebrew ventmatics are no longer in production. He also has a low price guarantee on his ventmatics. as of yesterday he had about 50 left. I mean 47. my order just went through.:)

I could not find anywhere else to buy ventmatics. according to Forrest from austinhomebrew ventmatics are no longer in production. He also has a low price guarantee on his ventmatics. as of yesterday he had about 50 left. I mean 47. my order just went through.:)

$45 seems pretty high though for those when I can get a Perlick for only $32. Hmmm......Perlick is looking like the best choice as of now.

ventmatics look 30 times better than the perlicks, but i can't give an opinion on the actual function of the perlicks, as i am a ventmatic man

Have you ever held both in your hands? I don't know where they got those pics from but I personally have looked at both side by side and there is no question that they were holding the worst Perlick ever made. The mashining is nowhere near as sloppy and the surfaces are not that pitted/rough.

If your looking for Ventmatics still i just got some from American Brewmaster in Raleigh NC. Not sure how many they have left but from what i hear they are in short supply everywhere. I cant remember exactly but i think i got my tower setup with Ventmatics(2) for about $170. Google them if you can't find them anywhere else.

If your looking for Ventmatics still i just got some from American Brewmaster in Raleigh NC. Not sure how many they have left but from what i hear they are in short supply everywhere. I cant remember exactly but i think i got my tower setup with Ventmatics(2) for about $170. Google them if you can't find them anywhere else.

Don't have any faucets for sale on their website.

I didn't check the website, they are the LHBS here in Raleigh. If you are hard up for them you may try giving them a call and having them shipped to you. i'm not sure what their internet sales practices are but they may be able to sell them over the phone and ship them to you. I just know that they have them there, at least they did a few days ago. happy hunting

Back