Where's you're favorite place to have a pint in Portland?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyLink

Reaction score
I like to think I've been to quite a few places around the city, but to be honest I haven't really even scratched the surface. Looking to hear from others about their favorite places :mug:

Well, obviously the best place to enjoy a pint is anywhere you bring your homebrew and some friends! :-D

But if you're in between batches, hopefully you've already hit the bigger breweries. Even if they're a bit crowded at times, they're still fun places with good beer:
Deschutes Public House - I just really like their beers, this spot is a decent restaurant too.
Rock Bottom Brewery - Good beer sampler. I was just there a few weeks ago and loved their seasonal wheat beer, but I can't remember what it was called.
McMenamin's Kennedy School - See a movie. On a couch. They'll bring you beer and pizza.
Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB) - Organic beers, I really dig their IPA when I can't find Ninkasi's Tricerahops.
Roots Brewery - Another organic brewery, just across the river in SE Portland, off Hawthorne, I think. Try a Heather-tip beer brewed REALLY old-skool style, before they had hops.
Lucky Labrador - Over in NW off Quimby and 20th, very cool, very relaxed place. Either they're never busy, or people don't know it's there! Good beers, big place, "undiscovered".

There's a bajillion places in Portland, these are just the ones I've been to recently that were a great time with good beer.

Cheers!
-Troy

I try to hit different places whenever I'm up there, but ditto

McMenamin's Kennedy School - See a movie. On a couch. They'll bring you beer and pizza.

Since I'm not a hophead, I enjoy most of their offerings. GF loves the place and the Rasp. Wheat.

Any place I can have a pint is my favorite. I've been to many of them and all but one I would consider going back.

My favorites are: Deschutes, Hopworks, and Widmer.

Its a long list. ;-)

Alameda
Amnesia
Hop Works
Green Dragon
McMen's -- Edgefield or K school. (I will admit, I live within walking distance of Edgefield, so I spend a good amount of time there)
Laurelwood (The garlic fries are freakin' amazing)

That is just scratching the surface. I couple years back I sat out to go to every brewery in Portland, I was doing really good until I drank to much and lost my brewery checklist I had.

+1 to McMenamin's Kennedy School, the wife too me there during my R&R Leave from Iraq. The place blew me away. We are planing on trying some of their other locations. Also if they are brewing at the school when you are there you are free to stop in and get a tour of the brewery

Henry's Tavern was a pretty great place to sample a whole bunch of commercial brews. 100 taps, a frost rail on the bar and the food was fairly decent. Kind of a yuppie-ish bar. Not really my style. But given the beer selection I encountered there, I happily obliged. Not being from the PNW, I got to try a bunch of brews in one spot, includingmy first taste of Pliny.

http://www.henrystavern.com/page/home

No Horse Brass yet? :)

In about this order, my favorites have been Green Dragon, HUB, Amnesia, Rogue Public House, Concordia Ale House, and Deschutes.

I've heard & read good things about Bailey's but haven't been. Yet.

No Horse Brass yet?

I used to love The Horse Brass, and honestly, yes it is still a great place to get a beer, especially if you are from out of town. As a local, I don't go their often anymore because it is always so busy. I like a place with people in it, and a good vibe as much as the next guy, but I don't need to wait 30 minutes or more for a table, when there are so many other great places to get all the same beers at.

Be sure and check out Apex on 12th and Division. Great new bar with 50 handles. The Beer Mongers is right across the street. Around the corner from Green Dragon on 10th and Belmont is the new Cascade Barrel Room a must stop for any fan of sour barrel aged beers. Also be sure and check out Hair of the Dog's new taproom at the foot of the Morrison Bridge on the east side of the river. Cheers!

JoeyLink said:
Been a while since this thread had some action, sure are a lot of new places to grab a pint now!

My favorites:
Saraveza
Bazi Bierbrasserie
Horse Brass
Fire on the Mountain
Prost

The Breakside on NE Dekum has some interesting brews from time to time. They had a "savory stout" once that was sparged with miso broth and served with a salted/anchovied rim.

Their regular line-up is pretty good, too. :mug:

start at deschutes then head to hair of the dog walk gingerly to the green dragon and stumble to cascade.

Back