Where's the Bourbon County Stout (BCS) Clones?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlg5039

Reaction score
I want to try and make a beer like this, it is absolute heaven. Here's the link to Goose Island's website, where it lists the malts used. http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/bourbon_county_stout/59.php
Recipe Information:
Style: Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout
Alcohol by Volume: 14.5%
International Bitterness Units: 60
Color: Midnight
Hops: Willamette
Malt: 2-Row, Munich, Chocolate, Caramel, Roast Barley, Debittered Black

So, anyone who has had it before want to give it a shot? I am going to be formulating a recipe based off some others I have found on the web this afternoon and will post what I come up with shortly.

I will also have figure out how to overcome other obstacles like mashing this much grain in a 10 gal mashtun :cross:

Thanks, cheers, and have fun.

Mike

Here's what i think I'm going to try as the base beer. I will try to mash at a low temp for 2 hours, I'm using 1.5 lbs of dextrose, and I'll finish it off with WLP099 in an attempt to get it down to the 1.035ish range and nearing the 13.0%ABV mark. I will secondary with some bourbon soaked oak cubes for months after primary is finished. I'll add bourbon to taste at bottling.

Bourbon Blessing Stout - Russian Imperial Stout
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Size: 6.394 gal
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.124
FG: 1.025
ABV: 12.9%%
Bitterness: 58.5 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 43 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 19.000 lb
Munich Malt Grain 3.000 lb
Chocolate Malt (US) Grain 1.000 lb
Roasted Barley Grain 8.000 oz
Corn Sugar (Dextrose) Sugar 1.500 lb
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 1.000 lb
Black (debittered) Malt Grain 4.000 oz
Total grain: 26.250 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Willamette 5.0%% 1.000 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 7.4
Willamette 5.0%% 1.000 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 9.6
Magnum 13.5%% 1.500 oz Boil 90.000 min Pellet 41.6

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-05 Ale 2 packs
WLP099 - Super High Gravity Ale Yeast 1/2 Gallon starter

I brewed it today, what a long session. I mashed 148 degrees for 2 hours, then lautered and single batch sparged slowly to collect 8 gallons. After a 90 minute boil, 5.5 Gallon OG was 1.125. I will start some dextrose additions when it reaches 1.040 to get it nearer to 14% if possible.

This beer is black, and the wort taste ridiculous!

Also, I sparged a third time and made a 1.035 dry stout :)

After a week, the S-05 has eaten this beast down to about 1.044 and its still slowly fermenting. I have a gallon starter of wlp099 to decant and pitch tonight as well as the first of two 8 oz dextrose additions. I am starting to think this all may come together :mug:

BTW, it smells terrific already.

A little update 2 months later. I added 1.5lbs of dextrose over 2 additions. This WLP099 is a beast. Too much of a beast, much more of a beast than I was expecting. It fermented all the way down to 1.015. On the next round I'll mash a little higher. That's about 17% alcohol. It tasted intense and boozy after a month in primary, but what do you expect from such a beer.

Anyways I racked to a carboy with some bourbon soaked oak and it's been setting for a month. Last night i tasted it and I think it has the level of oak I'd like, so today I'll rack it to a keg with a little more bourbon (I think it was a little lacking in bourbon). I'll probably tap into it sometime in February, but I plan to bottle at least half of it from the keg because I'm sure it'll improve with age.

I will give it another try soon though, and not underestimate the 099 next time.

Back