where would you buy your new TV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where would you buy your new TV?

• shady online retailer for $1370

• reputable online retailer for $1500

• local brick and mortar shop for $1600 ($1495 +$105 tax)

Results are only viewable after voting.

earlytimes

Reaction score
shady online retailer for $1370
reputable online retailer for $1500
Local brick and mortar shop for $1600 ($1495 + $105tax)

I'm looking at buying the Samsung PN50A650 and I've come across these three options to buy it from and I'm wondering what others would have done. FWIW, Best Busy is selling it for $1712 ($1600 + $112) tax.

I'll soon tell you what I chose to go with...

$1736 and change from BB during Superbowl sale 40in Samsung 830, warranty and cables. Bro has the 52" and I was limited on space.

print out the ad from the shady online retailer and find a local place that will price match. I did that with sears (price match plus 10% of the difference) when I bought my TV. but I think they might have changed their policy on price matching to where it has to be a local competitor for them to price match.

print out the ad from the shady online retailer and find a local place that will price match. I did that with sears (price match plus 10% of the difference) when I bought my TV. but I think they might have changed their policy on price matching to where it has to be a local competitor for them to price match.

Sears beat my local guy with price match and warranty by 300 bucks 5yrs ago with my Hitachi 51".

That's easy. Forums.slickdeals.net. Most of the time they are all reputable and they are all nazis with price matching. They pretty much do the work for you.

I would probably try negotiating with the local brick and mortar place.

I ended up buying from the local brick and mortar store. From past experiences, I've learned to stay away from the shady online places, especially for a purchase like this. The $230 bucks I would have saved could have bought me a nice blu-ray player to go with it, but It's just too big of a gamble IMO. And for only $100 more than a reputable online retailer, I could pick it up right away and feel good about supporting the local economy and business owners.

I think I did pretty good talking them down to $1495. The tax is what's killing it from being a steal.

Let me tell you, this TV is beautiful...

Samsung is a great electronics brand these days. I would go local if I could get close to the same price as the reputable online dealer. One thing about buying local is the ease of doing a return and the knowledge that FedUp or whoever hasn't totally trashed the set on the way to your house.

FWIW, I think $1600 local seems like a good price. For a purchase of that size, I'd probably pay the extra hundred bucks to get it locally and not have to worry about it. Good call!

Back