Where to try mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessefive

Reaction score
I have a sudden personal need to try some mead. I've been thinking about trying to brew some myself. But an unexpected situation finds me desperately needing a bottle. Anyone know of any Philly local clubs, brewers, etc, that would graciously donate/trade a bottle of mead? Or an online source? PA's liquor laws make it impossible to find mead to purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I had heard, sort of second-hand, that if you buy mead online you can get it shipped to PA. Hang on, I will do some research and verify...

ah, never mind, you cannot.

Tell you what- come down to Baltimore, I'll get you set up with a couple of commercial bottles. There's a store in Ellicott City, MD that has some great meads- and that whole section of the city is great for shopping, entertaining SWMBO, etc.

The store in Ell City is called Carpe Vinum and the proprietor is both entertaining and informative.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info! I searched for an online source too, and came up with the same info. Though there is one place that has a vendor code to sell through PA liqour stores. I'll have to see which is quicker, finding time to drive to Baltimore, or ordering from the store.

In PA though, there are no such things. There are state run liquor stores, with controlled stock, and then beer distributors and take out places. And never the two shall meet.

But Wilmington is definately closer than Baltimore! Thanks for the info!

The Bennigan's restaurants out here were selling Mead at one time. I don't know if they still are or not, but you can give it a try. If nothing else, you get a Kilkenny Chicken Salad out of the trip.

I live in PA (Greensburg, Westmoreland County) and I can get mead from one of our local state stores.

They usually have one brand on hand, but sometimes I've seen two brands. They are located near the port/dessert wines in this particular store, just FYI.

Asking the clerks about mead has not turned out to be "fruitful" :drunk: I was told they don't have any, but then a thorough search of the store resulted in my finding a few bottles.

Keep in mind that the "mead" that is almost always on-hand in that store is actually a honey flavored white wine, not purely fermented honey.

-Rich

Latest posts

Back