Where to purchase Glycol...now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oach

Reaction score
Hi All,

Picked up a Glycol chiller ~1.5 months used from another home brewer. He only used it twice but it is now about a year old. I feel it is time to change out the gylcol.

I search this forum a bit for purchasing glycol but haven't found a "recent" thread. Just wondering where everyone is purchasing glycol online, preferably for the best price.

Cheers!

@augiedoggy - did you see a thread where someone was interested in wrapping their FV with a tube to chill? I linked your name because I thought you had chilled some of your home fv like that .

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-RV-Marine-Antifreeze/17179674
Can this type of glycol be used? It's premixed but it's MUCH cheaper.

I'm not finding a reason why you cannot--nowhere does it say what the proportions are, nor does it actually say anywhere that this is propylene glycol solution. I'd want to confirm that.

But would it work? Probably. It's not going to protect down to -50; that would be the burst pipe temperature, and water will always stay "liquid" at temps much below freezing if it's in a sealed space that won't allow expansion. At least, won't allow it to a point. :)

Given that it's made for potable water systems, I don't see why this wouldn't work.

You can get it on Amazon or Tractor Supply, they both have food grade

Appreciate the tip on Tractor supply carrying this. I just realized the stuff i bought previously on Amazon went from 26 to 37 a gallon (in less than 2 months) - but tractor supply has in stock at a store a few miles from my house for $25/gallon. THANK YOU @jschein !!!!

At Tractor Supply you may need to ask for it. Even though my local store had a product tag on the shelf, they keep the actual product in a stock room. Nice to be able to just grab it locally as needed.

Back