where to purchase 3 gallon coolers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeropolis

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a 3 gallon cooler to convert as I delve into partial mashing. 2 gallon seems sufficient for most brews but I don't want to be bottlenecked from brewing slightly larger beers.

Target has 2 gallons.
Walmart, in my brief searches since I feel dirty after 5 minutes inside, has only 5 gallons and larger.

Anywhere else I should look? Anyone seen any anywhere recently?

Yeah, a 5gallon cooler is what most people use for a partial mash. Home Depot should have em for about $20. $50 for the 10gallon size...for all grain brewin to the max.

5gal works for partial mashes, and all grain batches up to a 12lb grain bill (and a little finesse)

thanks, I don't see trying all grain for a long while. I live in a townhouse community that won't take too kindly to me running loads of brewing equipment in the front yard.

5 gallons will hold temperature for the entire mash even if only filled halfway?

Beeropolis said:
thanks, I don't see trying all grain for a long while. I live in a townhouse community that won't take too kindly to me running loads of brewing equipment in the front yard.

5 gallons will hold temperature for the entire mash even if only filled halfway?
If you pre-heat it, it will work just as well as a 3 gal version. Just avoid peeking and letting the warm air out as much as possible! :)

Back