Where to plant hops plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webguynj

Reaction score
Are there any specific kinds of trees or plants I should not plant the hops near?

First of all if you plant near trees you'll probably have shade at least part of the day and that's not good. Also don't plant hops near tomatoes, the reason escapes me but it's bad for both plants.

I plan to run a support wire between a few locust trees with complete southern exposure. plant 3-5 plants between them I can run sissel or appropriate twine up to 25 ft up

I'm a first year grower but I've been growing things for a long time. From the research I've done I wouldn't want my plants really near anything at all. They are invasive and aggressive growers so they require their own space to do their thing. Plus, they need lots of sunlight and planting them next to something else could impede on their ability to catch some rays.
Right now, just due to a lack of free time, I have my plants in pots on my deck. The shoots are about 6 inches long at the moment but once they get to the point where they want to grab on to something I'm going to move them down to the backyard and hook some twine from the pots to the top railing of the deck. I'd say it's about 20 feet up, and the area gets sun all day, so I think it'll be a good spot for them. Nothing else is planted in the back yard too so I think this would be the most ideal spot for the hops.
Hope this helps; good luck! :mug:

sun is good as is wide open space, although up against the house is a good choice too

Back