Where to plant Hop rhizome ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
I currently have a 2nd yer cascade & centennial high are having growth issues. .
A friend of mine has an extra rhizome of chinook & cascade.
I have to find a spot to plant them.
Do rhizomes & hops require full sun?
Will they grow in partial shade?

I ended up moving my non growing rhizomes out of the shady, sandy location to a sunny-sandy location along my grape vines.
They seem to grow last year, but since then the neighbors tree has grown and putt em in shade.

So where should I be planting my rhizomes?
I have shady areas or full sun.
All my ground is sand!

Full sunlight and the more the better. About 8 hours minimum of direct sunlight. The sand is great for drainage as long as you've added a lot of humus, peat, compost, fertilizer etc. Good luck with them.

Dito, Full sun and room to climb and you need something for them to climb up. The root system likes to run so you need to keep different varieties separated. They don't like weed killers so be careful. Once they are established they are really tough. Good luck.

Thanks for info.
I ended up planting the hips along the back of my house where my grapes are doing very well. Also planted them behind my small box garden, which is infront of my deck.
This is full sun and will allow them to grow up my deck!

Back