Where to (or not to) ferment in an apartment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerDeRok

Reaction score
I'm still a beginner, have taken a brewing course and am still in the researching phase and haven't made my own batch yet.

I live in an apartment with no garage and am low on space. I know temperature is one determining factor on where to place my fermenting bucket, but what other factors are there in order to avoid contamination and infection?

Obviously I don't want to place it in a bathroom, but what about closets, laundry rooms, or pantries?

Anywhere you want. The cooler, darker, and less it will be moved the better. You just want it to sit there and do it's thing without being disturbed.

So being in a closet with clothes or in a room with washer and dryer won't hurt it? I originally planned to use our walk-in pantry but our kitchen garbage is also stored in there.

I wouldn't put it near the washer/dryer -- you want a cool, steady temperature. A bedroom closet would be better.

I live in an apartment also and put mine in the bathroom on the counter, never had an issue. I use the swamp cooler/ Tshirt method to cool and keep it within my target temps.

I live in an apartment and brew beer, mead and cider. I take a far more casual approach and don't worry about temperature at all. I would say I go for the rustic method.
I keep it in a closet that swings in temperature ~10 degrees. Probably not going to win any awards for my beer, but I like it and other don't seem to complain either.

I live in an apartment also and put mine in the bathroom on the counter, never had an issue. I use the swamp cooler/ Tshirt method to cool and keep it within my target temps.

What is the swamp cooler/ T-shirt method?

Thanks so much for all the replies, guys! It really helps.

RogerDeRok said:
What is the swamp cooler/ T-shirt method?

Thanks so much for all the replies, guys! It really helps.

The swamp cooler is putting your Carboy in a tub of water with ice in the water. Additionally you can add a Tshirt or towel over the Carboy to wick up water so as the water evaporates it cools it down even more. I use a cup to soak the Tshirt or towel a few times a day when it's really hot.

Edit: I cover the whole thing normally but i was showing off the beer in this photo so I took it half way off, just an FYI.

image-4176769801.jpg

Since the beer is sealed in the fermenter and the blow-off tube or airlock prevents any of the room's gasses from coming into contact with the beer, it doesn't really matter if there's a load of rotting garbage in the room alongside the fermenter. As others have stated, the main concern is temperature control.

i don't see how people get by without some version of the swamp cooler. i use the $6 rope bucket from target. dump some water in and switch out frozen water bottles and this gives you decent cheap temp control.

i do this in my apartment. couple frozen 12 ouncers right when i wake up. by the time i leave for work they're about melted and i switch out for a larger frozen bottle.

by the time i get home i'm ready to repeat the process.

i suppose the temp swing is a bit more than is ideal but for an apartment, budget, minimal effort and damn good beer i think this is the way to go.

Since the beer is sealed in the fermenter and the blow-off tube or airlock prevents any of the room's gasses from coming into contact with the beer, it doesn't really matter if there's a load of rotting garbage in the room alongside the fermenter. As others have stated, the main concern is temperature control.

That is probably the best answer I was looking for.

The only thing I'll add is to consider the potential for a blow-off. If you've got a space that's tiled or at least not carpeted it will make cleanup easier.

I just started brewing myself...1st batch in the primary for 6 days now, sitting at 65 deg...and I've been using the Cool Brewing bag to regulate my temp. I can keep it within 1 degree of optimum so far.

I have what they say is a 6.5 gallon carboy for a primary, although, when I measured it by pouring in a gallon at a time, it actually holds a tad more than 8 gallons. Anyway, the bag is tall enough to easily accommodate the carboy with an airlock stuck in it. It has a zippered top to to keep light out. And it's waterproof, fortunately, as one of my ice bottles split. And when you're not using it, it collapses down flat enough to shove under a bed...I'm fermenting in the spare bedroom.

It's so insulated that I had to play with how many ice bottles to put in it in order to not have it too cold and that's saying something, as I live in FL. By far the best non-brewing piece of equipment I've bought so far.

My main point is that with this I can pretty much ferment anywhere...heck, I could probably confidently ferment in the 90 deg garage. If you're interested, here's the link to the guy's site:

https://www.cool-brewing.com/

Back