Where to get the cheapest co2 cylinders?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkItZero

Reaction score
I checked out ebay, and you can snag a 10 lb bottle for about $50 shipped, but I would rather not pay the $25 for shipping. What's a good local place to look for them? Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet on shipping? And on second note, ten pounds is big enough for a small operation, right?

First-- shop around for a place to get CO2-- often times you can pay a nominal 'security deposit' and get a CO2 tank that, when empty, you turn in for a full one (similar to propane tank exchanges).

If you'vbe got a place near you like that, you dont' need to buy a tank at all.

Sorry to post unrelated, but I couldn't find this through the search and didn't want to start a new topic.

Why do you cut a 12" hole in the keg to do the kettle? And is a built in thermostat necessary?

The 12 inch diameter hole is a convenient size because it lets you easily drop in a wort chiller through the top (many of them are 10 to 11 inches in diameter), plus it removes most of the domed top end of the keg giving good visibility and access to the deep and narrow shape of the kettle, and it is a common size for stainless steel boiler lids. For example, I have two 8 quart stock pots in my kitchen that have 12 inch diameter lids, so they both would fit a keggle with a 12 inch diameter opening. (Unfortunately, the opening in my keggle is 11.5 inches).

I think that's the only reason why most people shoot for a 12 inch diameter hole. You can really make it whatever size you find useful. If you use a keggle for fly sparging later on, a bigger hole that is almost the diameter of the interior of the keggle will allow for more even coverage. (I'm guessing on that part, as I haven't ever done it.)

Thermostat I haven't heard of (but I don't know that much yet). Dial thermometers are commonly installed in keggles. I don't have a thermometer in my keggle. I want to put one in, eventually, but I'll need someone to weld me a fitting for it, or drill a hole and use a weldless fitting. Right now I take temps with my digital meat probe.

Go ahead and start a new topic in the future. I personally think it best when the subject line of a post bears some relevance to the content.

I also think it should bare relevance to the subject it's pertaining to. I meant thermometer, maybe I've had a few too many brews tonight (Blasphemy, I know), but that's what I meant. Thanks for the info, I was just wondering if it had to be specifically 12 for some reason.

Back