where to get starsan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demonrichie

Reaction score
im just wondering if you can get starsan at a regular store. i noticed when most people talk about where they got starsan they mention online purchase but i dont have the means to do so right now. if not is there any good sanitizers that you could? im in ontario if that helps. thanks

If there isn't a LHBS around you, you might try a Beverage/Bar Supply outfit. While they might not have Star San, they probably will have some other form of sanitizer available...probably Idophor or equivalent.

And now that you have me thinking...when I was younger and worked washing dishes, restaurants had a small packet of "Sanitizer" they used in their third sink (Wash, rinse, sanitize)...anyone know if that is a good sanitizer to use in a pinch?
You may be able to go to a McDonald's or the like and ask them for a packet

thats wut i thought too cuz it goes to food w/o rinse wonderin if it would affect the beer at all and if you could find such a product at a store

I think it's also used in the dairy industry, if that helps. Maybe there is a local ag supplier?

If there isn't a LHBS around you, you might try a Beverage/Bar Supply outfit. While they might not have Star San, they probably will have some other form of sanitizer available...probably Idophor or equivalent.

And now that you have me thinking...when I was younger and worked washing dishes, restaurants had a small packet of "Sanitizer" they used in their third sink (Wash, rinse, sanitize)...anyone know if that is a good sanitizer to use in a pinch?
You may be able to go to a McDonald's or the like and ask them for a packet

They usually use "quat", a quaternary ammonium something or other. It works fantastically, but leaves a residue that will KILL the head on any beer that then touches it. Do not use for beermaking stuff.

As for the OP's original question, looks like there are a few homebrew stores in Kingston....they don't have any?

I get mine from one of the online HBS or from my LHBS.

If your LHBS doesn't have it ask them to order some for you. Chances are they will be happy to add it to there product line. Most agree it is the best sanitizer on the market.

they have a couple stores ones pretty far and my rides car is outta commision and when i was at the one a coupla blocks away they didnt have ne...they may have been waitin for a new shipment im guna check some prices on more equipment in the next few days ill see then itd b nice to have a backup plan

I have never seen starsan at any of the Kingston homebrew stores.

HomeCraft on in the bayridge plaza has Idophor. Which is also an effective no rinse sanitiser.

Kingston kinda sucks when it comes to homebrew supplies....

I have been there a few times. He really does not have much when it comes to brewing, his focus is mostly on wine. His prices for the stuff he does have is higher than Homecraft. I don't think you are going to find any starsan localy.

download one.

While Iopophor works fine, I prefer Star San. Have you asked the LHBS to get some for you? My LHBS will get anything I ask for. That's the purpose of a local shop.

sorry we dont all have a spell checker fused to our brain maida

However spell checking is something a computer is good at.

I have atrocious spelling always have most likely always will (damn disgraphia). I have found that it is worth the time it takes to spell-check my posts. I do this because online, your spelling and writing is what you are judged by. If it looks like you put no effort into making yourself understandable then you are less likely to get answers to your questions. Whether this is right or wrong unfortunately it is the way it is.

The other big thing is to remember that the tone of what you post does not come across well. What may be intended as a slight jab/ or suggestion may be taken as a personal attack and.....:drunk:

(#of words corrected in this post 34 ;))

None of the local shops seemed to even know what starsan was when I went looking for it.....:(

The other thing I found was any thing they could order in for me it was cheaper to order it for myself fro one of the online shops. This is one of the things the MoB is great for they do bulk buys for all sorts of Brewing related stuff. That is how I got my grain mill :ban:

I'm dyslexic and never learned to spell very good. I have iespell installed. I think firefox comes with spell check. Firefox is a great browser, very secure and the adblocker add on works great!

If you drop the word that the spell check into google, You can find out if your spelling it like other ppl are spelling it..

I also have my doubts that maida7 wat talking about you spelling of idophor(I could be wrong) It is more likely things like sed, gud, itd.;)

ya id like to buy online but im not in a position to do so currently plannin to get one of those money mart prepaid cards eventually

I would be willing to help out if there is something you need to order. Or let me know what you are looking for and I may have it for you to borrow. I'm always willing to help out a fellow homebrewer.

just gettin equipment and supplies to get started right now gotta wait till the gst cheque comes in neways. thanks for the offer ill keep that in mind.

In Ontario you can check with Canadian Homebrew Supply in Brampton; Homebrewers Retail in Whitby and, as mentioned, Skinaney Brewing Supplies in Dunrobin. Some shops are doing whatever it takes to bring Five Star to you, say thank you by shopping there! Cheers! :rockin:

Back