Where to get rhizomes now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abellote

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm a homebrewer from Brazil and I'm planning a vacations trip to the USA late August / early September and was wondering where could I find hops rhizomes this late in the season.
I want to try to grow them at home here in Brazil even tough the climate doesn't help, but just for the fun of it.
If it helps I will stay in Orlando/FL but I can get those ordered and have it delivered at the hotel.
Any tips?

Thanks for the help, cheers.

fwiw, a quick check on importing plants to Brazil landed me here, where it says "Flower, plants and plants products will require permission from the Ministry of Agriculture before being granted admission into the country."

May be moot, however, as I can't find anyone selling rhizomes, crowns or even "starts" at this time...

fwiw, a quick check on importing plants to Brazil landed me here, where it says "Flower, plants and plants products will require permission from the Ministry of Agriculture before being granted admission into the country."

May be moot, however, as I can't find anyone selling rhizomes, crowns or even "starts" at this time...

What he said, you cant just go taking plants from one nation to another.
Chances are you'll get in pretty big trouble if you try flying back to Brazil with hop rhizomes. Countries have specific laws prohibiting a lot of new plant species from coming in because once they do, they can spread and affect the natural wildlife and plants in unknown ways.

So talk to your Brazilian ministry of agriculture and figure out what paperwork you need, because you will need it before you fly out to the US, its not just some form you fill out coming back into the country.

Chances are they will say no.

Regardless though i dont think you can get hop rhizomes right now anyways, your about 2-3 months late. By now any rhizomes that were cut at the start of the US season this year are pretty much dead if they didnt get put in the ground.

Your best bet would be to wait for AU/NZ hop season and try to get some from there?

Thank you guys, but Brazilian customs doesn't care what you bring into the country. Everyone that I know that tried to bring rhizomes didn't encounter any trouble at all. If I get unlucky and they catch me the worse that can happen is losing the rhizomes and a few bucks. It's worth the risk...

But that's not the case since I won't find any at this time of the year.. maybe some next time...:mad:

Cheers,

Back