Where to get Lactose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlameboyC11

Reaction score
Hi, I'm making a cream ale and recipe calls for lactose, yet I can't seem to find anything actually called that in the stores. The closest I've found is called "Sweet dairy whey" which says it's a replacement for sugar but I'm not really sure. Any ideas on where I can go, the local homebrew store is sold out and said they won't get any in for awhile. Anyways, linked below is the product I found in the stores, thanks for the help. :mug:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=showdetails&product_ID=412

Any idea on what type of local stores would carry this? Are we talking organic stores or is this kind of a rare item?

It's not rare, but like malted barley and wine yeast, it's usually only found in homebrew shops.
Lactose is milk sugar, and is unfermentable. It leaves a sweetness in the beer and creaminess.

FlameboyC11 said:
the local homebrew store is sold out and said they won't get any in for awhile.

Your LHBS sucks. It's a pretty commonly used sugar, I'm surprised they don't keep it in stock.

Well, first you find yourself a cow...........

Seriously, I'm going to try Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale recipe. I just don't have the time to run all over looking fo ingredients right now so I ordered everything from Williams as well. I get orders from them in 2 days.

raceskier said:
Well, first you find yourself a cow...........

Seriously, I'm going to try Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale recipe. I just don't have the time to run all over looking fo ingredients right now so I ordered everything from Williams as well. I get orders from them in 2 days.

Since I live less than 15mi from them, for most things, I can pick them up the same day:D!

Eh, I just broke down and ordered it from Williams. So cheap, damn LHBS, they told me they were out last week, I checked again today and they still haven't even placed an order for it, much less gotten it in. At least they have nice, locally grown hops... :tank:

Back