Where to get Dextrose(Corn Sugar) on Internet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigs

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Can someone recommend an online store that sells Dextrose? What brands should I look for and stay away from? I usually try to buy things on Amazon but it seems like Dextrose/corn sugar doesn't exist to many stores. Help is much appreciated.

Any of the big box online brew stores like Midwest, Northern Brewer, Austin Supply, you are basically looking for Priming Sugar and it may be labeled as such so you might be missing it that way.

Use table sugar instead from the grocery store or your kitchen. Much cheaper and just as good. I'll never buy corn sugar again.

Use table sugar instead from the grocery store or your kitchen. Much cheaper and just as good. I'll never buy corn sugar again.

I am actually not trying to brew anything. I actually want to use it for baking and making workout drinks. Dextrose or corn sugar is pure glucose. Sucrose is a half fructose half glucose. Fructose in large amounts is not good for you.

The problem I have is most large grocery stores don't sell dextrose and many of the typical online websites sell only small bags that are quite expensive. I didn't realize that people who make their own beers use this stuff and figured you guys would be the best to ask.

Any of the big box online brew stores like Midwest, Northern Brewer, Austin Supply, you are basically looking for Priming Sugar and it may be labeled as such so you might be missing it that way.

Thank you. I will look into those stores. Might even try making beer one of these days.

Alternately, if you have any bulk food stores, they may carry it or be able to order it for you.

I'm very near an amish settlement. I had the local amish store order a 50# bag for me. Cost was $36.

I am actually not trying to brew anything. I actually want to use it for baking and making workout drinks. Dextrose or corn sugar is pure glucose. Sucrose is a half fructose half glucose. Fructose in large amounts is not good for you.

The problem I have is most large grocery stores don't sell dextrose and many of the typical online websites sell only small bags that are quite expensive. I didn't realize that people who make their own beers use this stuff and figured you guys would be the best to ask.

Dextrose and glucose are basically different representations of the same sugar. In a jar of corn syrup, what you have is a mixture of both, and some of each is converting to the other all the time.

Are there no restaurant supply stores open to the public in the garden state?

I hear that donut shops prefer to make their glazes with dextrose monohydrate because it provides stability that sucrose can't offer, and a superior, cooling mouth feel.

It might be a good idea to find a local independent bakery or donut shop and see if they know where you can get it, or possibly just sell you some.

Also, fructose consumption is only associated with increased serum lipids and growth of fat nodules in the liver when it is consumed to the exclusion of other sugars. It was believed for some years that fructose was a 'safer' caloric sweetener for diabetics because you need less of it to make things taste very sweet, but it was discovered that there are severe risks associated with consuming fructose as your only source of sugar. Those risks do not exist when it is merely part of a normal diet.

Also, I'd wager that Cannon's Cake & Candy Supplies on 1027 Chews Landing Road probably has dextrose in 50 pound bags, or knows exactly who in town would have that.

Back