Where to get corn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
walmart here has cracked corn for like $8 a 40lb bag? i've never liked it for beer, but for distilling should be fine....
Is that in the food department, or the wild feed department? I am concerned that corn destined for feeding animals might have chemicals that aren't recommended for human consumption. (Not that I am concerned for my own safety, but I would prefer the ingredients to be more or less wholesome for others who might sample it.)

Corn meal is "de-germed" which means it has a lot less oil than whole corn. Just something to keep in mind.

Cracked corn is cheap at a local feed store. Pretty much most distillers use feed grade corn. Corn meal works great as well, and is fit for human consumption out of the box. Just not as inexpensive, but still cheaper than flaked for most people.

K

Is that in the food department, or the wild feed department? I am concerned that corn destined for feeding animals might have chemicals that aren't recommended for human consumption. (Not that I am concerned for my own safety, but I would prefer the ingredients to be more or less wholesome for others who might sample it.)
The bags at the feed store will have the ingredients listed on them. Look for the ones that only list corn and no other additives. Some will have additives to help preserve the corn that can hamper fermentation

Just got back from the feed store. You should look for something like this. Nothing but corn.

Attachments

• D565615A-CF28-46DE-8AF9-76B0294A812F.jpeg
    D565615A-CF28-46DE-8AF9-76B0294A812F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
  • 3E131127-8B04-4A8A-8670-99AD4EADBE0F.jpeg
    3E131127-8B04-4A8A-8670-99AD4EADBE0F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
Back