Where to get corn?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

OP
Homercidal

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
walmart here has cracked corn for like $8 a 40lb bag? i've never liked it for beer, but for distilling should be fine....
Is that in the food department, or the wild feed department? I am concerned that corn destined for feeding animals might have chemicals that aren't recommended for human consumption. (Not that I am concerned for my own safety, but I would prefer the ingredients to be more or less wholesome for others who might sample it.)

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
feed dept. if you're looking for human food, i think this is the best you'll do.

ferment and distill it in a double boiler....

dwhite60

Reaction score
Corn meal is "de-germed" which means it has a lot less oil than whole corn. Just something to keep in mind.

kmmuellr

Reaction score
Cracked corn is cheap at a local feed store. Pretty much most distillers use feed grade corn. Corn meal works great as well, and is fit for human consumption out of the box. Just not as inexpensive, but still cheaper than flaked for most people.

K

btbonser

Reaction score
Is that in the food department, or the wild feed department? I am concerned that corn destined for feeding animals might have chemicals that aren't recommended for human consumption. (Not that I am concerned for my own safety, but I would prefer the ingredients to be more or less wholesome for others who might sample it.)
The bags at the feed store will have the ingredients listed on them. Look for the ones that only list corn and no other additives. Some will have additives to help preserve the corn that can hamper fermentation