Where to find Pliny the elder in LA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtVandelay

Reaction score
I'll be in the Newport Beach area of L.A. this weekend and my number one goal is to find some Pliny the Elder. I've never seen it here in WI.

I know there was a thread about places to go near L.A. but does anyone have any suggestions for places to go that would have this on tap near New Port Beach? Is it easy to find in the liquor store in CA?

Keep in mind, the sooner I find it, the less I will annoy SWMBO and her friend on the trip.

Thanks.

if your in hermosa or redondo beach check out cafe boogalo on the hermosa pier and Najas place at redondo pier. Najas place has like 85 beers on tap. i think whole foods sells it by the bottle. check russian river website. i would go to boogalo (5 dollars a pint vs 8 dollars a 12 oz at najas). najas does have good beer for 14 a pitcher, just stuff like pliney is pricy there

You might want to call Beachwood BBQ before you go. They rotate taps regularly and Pliny goes on and off there.

Naja's Place on Redondo Beach Pier usually has it, but were out when I was there last Saturday. Although they had a good replacement in Ballast Point Sculpin.

Verdugo in Eagle Rock has had it every time I've been there.

Hollinghead's Cafe in Orange may or may not have it on tap, but they always have it in bottles.

Also, Total Wine in Tustin will have it, and at a good price.

If you're willing to drive down closer to San Diego, there's tons of places down there that will have it for sure. Stone Brewing is a distributor and always has it on tap at the Bistro.

Thanks guys. Very handy that Russian River has a distribution list, didn't realize that.

Probably won't be heading towards San Diego. I ran the idea of going to Stone by SWMBO and got shot down.

I'm confident I'll find it now. Ideally, somewhere on tap.

If your in Newport and want to take a couple of bottles home with you head up the 55 to Total Wine and More in Tustin and pick some up. Not far from Newport at all...also, Stone is amazing! not your "typical" brewery at all. the breweries grounds are gorgeous. check out the website and try and convince her to make a day of it. it'll be a nice day trip down the 5 to San Marcos

Just got back from Hi Time. I think they usually get their Pliny on Fridays, but they were out right now and it didn't sound like they were getting any tomorrow either. They had Sculpin but I picked up the last one.

They have Alpine Nelson and Exponential Hoppiness in the back though, just ask one of the guys in the beer department to grab them for you.

You can also try The Goat Hill Tavern on Newport Blvd, actually in Costa Mesa but on the boarder, used to be most taps of beer until the Yard House came along. I think there is a Yard House across the street as well in the Triangle Square.

A little update. Great trip, found pliny.

Managed to get SWMBO and friend to go to Stone for a tour. Beautiful/modern/new brewery and they had pliny the elder on tap. Felt an earthquake and got sunburned.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Back