Where to ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoppus

Reaction score
I know that I am a beginner and I lack a lot of equipment that you all have. I live in the midwest and am worried about my fermentation temperatures. I need to put everything in my unheated garage because my wife doesn't want me to make a mess of the house. That being said; where could I place my fermentation bucket and carboy so I don't ruin everything?

Ross

I know that I am a beginner and I lack a lot of equipment that you all have. I live in the midwest and am worried about my fermentation temperatures. I need to put everything in my unheated garage because my wife doesn't want me to make a mess of the house. That being said; where could I place my fermentation bucket and carboy so I don't ruin everything?

Ross

Convince her to use the spare Bath tub. Or get a tub, water and aquarium heater. You'll have to control temps in that garage some way.

Invest in a wine cooler that'll fit your carboy (off Craig's list for cheap) and build an STC-1000 controller for next time.

Do you have a room or closet or some area in which you can put a storage bin with water to hold your fermentor or 2? It's not pretty, and maybe ought not be placed out for all to see, but it's what most of us that can't afford the nice stuff have to do.

Is there a way you can hide it?

I have an empty bedroom where I could keep the fermentation temp at 60 degrees. Beyond that I am left to my garage and in the summer I'm afraid it might get to hot.

Ross

It would be much better to keep your fermentors where it's more constant and therefor easier to control your beer temps, unless of course you can afford the nice expensive temp controlling systems.

And 60* ought to help you keep those temps low and more constant. I see how mine are easier during the cold spells here in south Texas, and it takes less attention. Our high for this weekend will be back into the high 60's and low 70's...

My only option would be to bring it upstairs where it's 68 constantly or keep it in the garage where it can get down to the upper 30s or lower. I vote the room like you said. What is the best average temp by the way?

Ross

I put my stuff in the basement, maintains a good 64ish temp... I live in the Midwest as well and unheated garage would not be a good place to ferment. You might need to check into a ferm chamber if your outside.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

My only option would be to bring it upstairs where it's 68 constantly or keep it in the garage where it can get down to the upper 30s or lower. I vote the room like you said. What is the best average temp by the way?

Ross

Depends on the beer, but in general 64f is mine... Beer is always warmer when fermenting.

Temp controlled systems aren't expensive if you do an stc-1000 controller and a cheap chamber off Craig's list. Could be done for less than $100

During the winter, I use a closet with my STC-1000 and a space heater plugged into the heat only. The poor insulation in the closet keeps it cool. The heater keeps it to temp and it won't run all the time.

During the summer, I use a controlled wine cooler.

It seems that sitting in water helps it stay lower. Out on it's own it can be 10* warmer than air temp, yet in water it seems they'll get maybe 5* warmer.

By that logic a tub of water kept at 60* wouldn't allow the beer to get much over 65*, which seems about ideal.

Of course this has to be subjective. I've observed it myself, but cannot say my results would be the same elsewhere.

It seems that sitting in water helps it stay lower. Out on it's own it can be 10* warmer than air temp, yet in water it seems they'll get maybe 5* warmer.

By that logic a tub of water kept at 60* wouldn't allow the beer to get much over 65*, which seems about ideal.

Of course this has to be subjective. I've observed it myself, but cannot say my results would be the same elsewhere.

This depends on ambient temps. Is really used more for its thermal properties. Water temps change slower than air temps.

This depends on ambient temps. Is really used more for its thermal properties. Water temps change slower than air temps.

This is getting way to in depth for me as a first time home brewer. Just hoping my first batch doesn't turn out bad.

If your water temp is kept around 60* your beer will likely be around 5* warmer.

I had kept an eye on my water temps keeping them around 65* thinking the thermal mass of the water surrounding about 2/3 of the beer would keep it very close to temp, and I was told it could likely be warmer.

I bought the fermometers and sure enough it was 5* warmer than the water.

Thanks for your alls input and advice. I'll talk to a local home brewing store for more advice and suggestions on year round brewing. Thanks again.

This is getting way to in depth for me as a first time home brewer. Just hoping my first batch doesn't turn out bad.

Ya just figure out a way to maintain a 64ish temp or whatever your aiming at. If the.basement works cool, closet, etc... If your restricted to the garage then you might look into building a ferm chamber, buy a cheap chest freezer on craigslist, build a stc1000 and put it into there.

What I do is freeze water bottles ranging from 20 oz to 2 lits and use them to chill the water to keep it close to 60*. This is what made me think that an ambient temp of 60* might be ideal.

You can read about fermenting in a swamp cooler if you want more info on it.

For now, keep it in the spare room. You'll be fine if its at 68. If it gets too hot, that's bad. Try not to let it go over 70. If it does get hot, wrap it with a wet towel. It helps draw heat away.

If it's too cold, that's "fine" except it will take longer to ferment or can stop fermentation until it warns up.

Maintaining 68 will be ideal for your situation.

Just be sure to put it in a tub in case you get blow off. You don't want it in the carpet.

Actually maybe just under 60* as the warmer beer would try to warm the water a little. 58* maybe? Someone more knowledgeable would have to speak up as I'm only considering theory here…

But even still, I'd guess that 60* ambient temp wouldn't allow the beer to get above 68*, which still may not be ideal for what you are doing, and the yeast you are using. I prefer to keep mine on the lower end of the spectrum so as to have a cleaner profile.

You can read about fermenting in a swamp cooler if you want more info on it.

For now, keep it in the spare room. You'll be fine if its at 68. If it gets too hot, that's bad. Try not to let it go over 70. If it does get hot, wrap it with a wet towel. It helps draw heat away.

If it's too cold, that's "fine" except it will take longer to ferment or can stop fermentation until it warns up.

Maintaining 68 will be ideal for your situation.

Just be sure to put it in a tub in case you get blow off. You don't want it in the carpet.

Great idea. Thanks for keeping it simple for this newbie.

Btw fermenting doesn't make a mess... Even with the tops being blown off, had a few, it's honestly not too much of a mess. It would be in a closet, but in the open space if a basement, tub, or other place it's a easy clean. That's if you get a mess... If your really worried drop some fermcap in and no mess at all.

Back