Where to ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimster

Reaction score
My basement stays about 63-64, my kitchen about 66-68 and my computer room 74-76, I'm reading up and it looks like my basement should be the perfect place to ferment right?

I plan to start with a Mr Beer to get my feet wet and then as time and energy and ambition allow upgrade to something a little nicer. But Mr Beer or no I want to ferment it as perfectly as I can.

Also how much if any, does humidity affect the potential brew? It's a basement so I have a large dehumidifier set to 40% in the basement bathroom and I also put in a return vent for the AC in the basement to help keep the air down there circulating (and the basement warmer than the 50's it used to stay in the dead of winter).

So anyway, basement, low 60's 40-50% humidity (and of course dark), perfect place?

The basement would be good for some yeast strains, but the kitchen would be better for others. You can check the manufacturers websites for the ideal temperature range of the particular strain. You have the bases covered.

Ok basement for fermenting sounds like is the plan for at least the basic Mr Beer stuff.

Now! how about bottle conditioning? I keep seeing "3 weeks at 70" is warmer better? Would my 75-78 degree computer room be better for bottle conditioning or would the kitchen? Or would '4 at 63' in the basement make a better beer? Is cooler longer bottle conditioning typically deemed better or warmer?

Back