Where to drink in Lincoln, Nebraska?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheH2

Reaction score
Headed to Lincoln Nebraska this weekend and wanted to know where I should grab a drink? Bars or restaurants with a good selection, brew pubs, etc.

There are plenty of great places to go in Lincoln. I haven't spent much time there, but I had a blast when I was there. Names that stand out in my memory:

P.O Pear's
Barry's
Misty's

You have to check out YiaYia's pizza - as well as superb pizza they have an amazing range of beers. Their draft stuff is pretty good, but their selection of bottled stuff really did it for me. Also Lazlo's in the Haymarket area of town is a great brewpub. I'd have lived there if they'd have let me :D

[EDIT] - I just figured out why you're going. Hope it's a good game, and no disrespect, but - GO BIG RED! :)

The Modern Monks are a group of long-time homebrewers specializing in Belgians and who have found someone willing to brew their beer commercially. Trevor at Thunderhead Brewing brews their Belgian-style ales and distributes them throughout Nebraska. In Lincoln you can find their beer at The bread & cup in the historic Haymarket district, among other places. You'll likely find their Brother's Cup on tap. I'd highly recommend trying it!

Heh heh. Comin' for some football, are ya? Well I'm sitting 200' from the stadium right now. :p

Lazlo's is GREAT for a steak or a burger, and lots and lots of really good beer. While you're there, ask what their Beer Quest beer on tap is - It's a quarterly homebrew competition where they brew the winner's recipe and serve it for 2 months. Should be the Triticale Wit on tap, I think. Also try their Collapsar Oatmeal Stout, served on nitro, and only available on tap.

Yia Yia's is awesome for bottled beer selection, and good beers on tap. The only "swill" they serve is 16oz cans of Heileman's Old Style. Everything else is microbrew. AWESOME homemade pizza. Last time I was there, they had Russian River Old Rasputin on tap. ON TAP, MAN.

PO Pears is closed, may it R.I.P.

Barry's serves a mean bar-burger, but their beer selection is limited. Last time I was there, it was just BMC on tap, plus Stella Artois. Go figure.

Misty's has good food, but again, their beer is kinda crap IMO. At least the Mistys' stuff they serve at Duffy's always tastes infected to me.

There's another good one! Duffy's is a freaking GREAT dive bar. PBR on tap, gotta love it.

Finally, if you like greek Gyros, hit the corner of 14th and O street. Don't go to Gourmet Gyros, which is the one *ON* the corner, but walk around to the left side of Gourmet and you'll find a little place called Ali Baba Gyros right next door. FANTASTIC lamb, their cucumber sauce is PHENOMENAL, and their thick-cut handmade fries are the best in Lincoln.

Bread & Cup is another good one, as summersolstice said.

I'll keep a spare Huskers shirt here if you wanna blend in! ;) ;)

Welcome to Lincoln!

Hey, you Colorado fan, this thread's not for you! :p Save it for November willya?

Besides. Could be worse. We could be South Dakota or Iowa. You wanna talk Desolate? ;)

(All spoken in kind jest.)

Hey, you Colorado fan, this thread's not for you! :p Save it for November willya?

Besides. Could be worse. We could be South Dakota or Iowa. You wanna talk Desolate? ;)

Haha, true. Of course the first (and most likely only) thanksgiving I will be spending in Boulder, and the game will be in Nebraska.

Good call Yuri!

They'll be selling both Runzas and some Valentino's pizza on the street corner, outside the stadium. I recommend trying both. Look for the white trailer. :D
n307400052_63670_5956.jpg

Those are all great suggestions, but I went to school there ...there was a nice drinking establishment in room 1220 in Cather Hall

Or, if you can't make it to Upstream Brew Pub (if you're flying directly into LNK), they sell a couple of their limited-batch bottles at N-Street Liquor (19th & N). One of 'em is a Grand Cru, I forget what the other couple are, I think one is an IIPA.

All right, I'll say it. Good work last night, Hokies. You played really well. Too bad I don't remember anything that happened in the 4th quarter. Was a bit too :drunk: by then.

All right, I'll say it. Good work last night, Hokies. You played really well. Too bad I don't remember anything that happened in the 4th quarter. Was a bit too :drunk: by then.
As far as I could tell, so were the match officials. :mad:

But VT have got a very good team - they're unlucky not to be 5-0.

At least we didn't lose the game on an ineligible receiver penalty. That's a load of steaming, smelly bull crap. I should've been watching Badgers overtime. Damned Wolverines. >_>

I must say Lincoln was great. Thanks for all the recommendations. Below is my attempt at a brief summary.

My favorite place was YiaYia’s. Great selection of beer and fantastic pizza. We went there a few times. It was a perfect atmosphere to hang out and have a beer or two or…

Lazlo’s was very good. I had the quest beer and a beer sampler (which I think included everything they had on tap). I’m not a huge stout person, but the oatmeal stout was great as was the Scottish ale.

Misty’s – Yikes. I had two beers and tried two others and three of them had the same sort of twang. I had the wheat beer, Oktoberfest beer, and tried the Alt beer and stout. The stout was the only one that didn’t have the off flavor. Maybe they’ve just had a rough couple months brewing and normally have great beer. Everyone in our group felt the same way.

O street was great. Not many Hokies ventured down too far but they missed out. It was great hanging out with all the Husker fans/students. We even saw Eric Crouch in the drunken pizza place across from YiaYia’s. YiaYia’s kitchen closed too soon.

For coffee The Mill was great.

I can't believe I forgot Bread & Cup and didn't get to try Modern Monks beer. I guess the drinking messed up my memory.

Memorial stadium is sweet with a great gameday atmosphere. I loved seeing the national championship and Heisman trophies. Unfortunately, our trophy case is empty so it was good to see one that is full. The road trip is a must for any college football fan.

Thanks again for the recommendations. Lincoln was fantastic as were the fans. I got a ton of beers and food from random people’s tailgates. They have to be some of the best fans in football. We look forward to hosting next year and will be bringing a bunch of beers to give away the Huskers that make the trip. We owe at least 40.

And finally, it was nice to escape with a win.

Go Hokies.

Misty’s – Yikes. I had two beers and tried two others and three of them had the same sort of twang. I had the wheat beer, Oktoberfest beer, and tried the Alt beer and stout. The stout was the only one that didn’t have the off flavor. Maybe they’ve just had a rough couple months brewing and normally have great beer. Everyone in our group felt the same way.

*phew* Glad to know I'm not the only one who gets that weird off-flavor in their beers. It's been that way for some time now, really, at least in their draft selections being served at Duffy's. I had better luck with their tap beers at their Havelock location the one time I went, but haven't been back yet to examine more closely.

We Huskers really do pride ourself on our down-home Midwest hospitality, and I'm really glad your visit was no exception to this! :) Glad you had a good time, and even left with a Hokies win! :D

from what I've heard, PO Pears is NOT the happening place to be anymore. it was sold, and people are complaining. the previous owner's filed a lawsuit to stop the new owners from using the name "PO Pears" as well...

its a good thing you didn't make it there :)

Back