where to buy stock pots (not online)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bringitonhome

Reaction score
Hey do you guys know where I can get a ~32qt stockpot?
I just want to run out & pick one up & not deal with shipping, etc. Seems like most retailers only carry up to about 20qt.
I live in Northern NJ, where we have about 3 of every chain retailer on every highway.

Home Depot sells turkey frier setups with the burner & pot .... mine is 30 quarts, so it's a little bit smaller than you were looking for.

40 QT on Austin Home Brew for $62 + $6.99 flat rate shipping....check out Instawares too. They often do free shipping.

Check out Sam's club, and Costco. They sometimes have 32qt or larger stock pots. Also consider an outdoor sporting goods supply store.

Try a restaurant supply store. I don't live in NJ so I can't help you on the exact location of one.

+1 on this. Look in the yellow pages, I'm sure you'll be able to find one. I always seek these places for kitchen stuff. They are typically much less expensive than anywhere else. They are also a great place to pick up a wide variety of glasses at good prices.

This might sound crazy, but I found a 32 qt aluminum stock pot at my local grocery store. It's sold as a tamale steamer but as far as I can tell it will work for brewing. It was less than $30 from what I remember. It was kept at the top of the shelves in the hispanic/ethnic food aisle.

marshalls homegoods

...seriously. The one near me is loaded w/ a wicked selection

homegoods, eh?
I've been in there a few times but never noticed any cookware - seemed like all tchotchkies to me.
I'll give that & costco a try.

I know you said northern Jersey, but here in (cough)lovely(cough) Wilmington, DE, we've got at least two great restaurant supply stores; I just picked up a 60qt. pot from the restaurant store here (I believe it's called..."The Restaurant Store". If it's not too insane of a drive, stop by this weekend or something.

Look up "restaurant supply Wilmington, DE" in google if you're interested.

homegoods - nil
wal-mart - nil
costco - nil
Found 3 restaurant supply stores:
1 wasn't open to the public, the other two only had SS steel up to 20qt. 40 & 60 quarts were aluminum only.

looks like i'll be ordering online after all, and waiting another week (if i'm lucky and get it by the weekend) to brew

grrrrrr.......

Some resteraunt supply stores also sell "used" equipment from closed resteraunts as well as new...You can find some amazing deals dirt cheap if you don't mind them a little dinged up and looking a little burnt on the outside from lots of use... DO a couple boiling water batches to clean out anything on the inside.

If you are looking for 5 gallon pots, Dollar General sells them for under 10 bucks...

homegoods - nil
wal-mart - nil
costco - nil
Found 3 restaurant supply stores:
1 wasn't open to the public, the other two only had SS steel up to 20qt. 40 & 60 quarts were aluminum only.

looks like i'll be ordering online after all, and waiting another week (if i'm lucky and get it by the weekend) to brew

grrrrrr.......

It's your choice, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with aluminum pots. Also very easy to put a weldless fitting in.

It's your choice, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with aluminum pots. Also very easy to put a weldless fitting in.

Yeah I already have 2 aluminum pots - the 5 gal I used to do extract in, and the 6.5 gal that came with the turkey fryer (which, incidentally, was incorrectly advertised as 7.5 gal - thus my search for yet another).

I figure, I'm going all-grain, going to get a 10 gal kettle so I can do 90 min boils if i need to, etc. I'd rather not have to deal with the conditioning of the pot, overcleaning, etc.

Might as well get the one I really want so I won't be tempted to "upgrade" later ;)

I'll still use the aluminum ones for hlt, etc.

FWIW, the heavy guage commercial aluminum units can be close to 1/4" thick and work fantastic. You would have to use a lot of metal in the pot and scrub the hell out of it with a wire brush to screw it up. I was looking at a 40 quart on eBay for $50 plus shipping and it even came with a lid.

It amazes me that the aluminum transfers heat so much better than the SS pots I was using. In fact, I would doubt you would find a stainless steel pot from a restaurant as they are cost prohibitive and pretty much waste BTUs.

Anyway, don't dismiss the aluminum ones because you think you may damage it. The good ones are much thicker than their SS counterparts and are near indestructable.

Back