Where to buy Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jth6373

Reaction score
I am interested in making a batch of mead, but I have never tasted it before. I live in eastern Pennsylvania and would like to know where I could buy a bottle or two? Searching on the net did not come up with any results. Thank you.

Oklahoma's market is no comparison to Pennsylvania so thius may mean absolutely nothing.

I have found Bunratty (sp) mingled in with Wine.

Hated it! And from what I have heard from others, most packaged meads are too sweet. After drinking the Bunratty crap I was on the fence about mead and then I tasted a dry apricot homemade and was sold well above market price.

Why not try your hand at a 1 gallon batch. This is what I do. I like mead, wouldn;t go so far as to have it on hand all the time. 1 gallon makes about 10 bottles depending on how full you fill the jug. I ferment mine in 1 gallon jugs from the HBS.

I have seen a few bottles where they have a really big selection of wine and beer. Around here I picked up a bottle at Giant Eagle once but there was none available last time I checked. An upscale food market had a couple bottles. And my LHBS which is primarily a wine a beer store had a few bottles in the speciality wine section near the ports and icewines.

Mead can be very tough to find.

Getting a gallon jug and making a 1 gallon batch following the instructions on here will probably cost you less than a bottle and likely taste better too.

Craig

If you have an AJ's food store or whole foods near you I would try them.

Your best bet is to go with a lower alchahol mead, say 11% or there abouts.

Some of the higher ABV stuff like 16%, has some strong flavors.

If you make a batch, make the Joes Ancient Orange Mead and use bread yeast it will turn out drinkable in a month or two.

I don't know if they have a distribution channel in PA but you can try contacting Readstone Meadery Redstone Meadery

I had a chance to stop by their Colorado meadery a few years ago and tried their products. It's pretty good.

Oklahoma's market is no comparison to Pennsylvania so thius may mean absolutely nothing.

I have found Bunratty (sp) mingled in with Wine.

Hated it! And from what I have heard from others, most packaged meads are too sweet. After drinking the Bunratty crap I was on the fence about mead and then I tasted a dry apricot homemade and was sold well above market price.

Why not try your hand at a 1 gallon batch. This is what I do. I like mead, wouldn;t go so far as to have it on hand all the time. 1 gallon makes about 10 bottles depending on how full you fill the jug. I ferment mine in 1 gallon jugs from the HBS.

I spent a day at the Bunratty Castle in Ireland once, but also disliked the Bunratty Mead sold here. When you do find mead for sale be sure to read the label and make sure it's not fortified with wine. ;)

Yeah, quite a few of the "meads" I've seen are actually white wines flavored with honey. So while you may like those, you might want to find a real mead to taste as well.

I'm sure it's scary to brew something without ever having tasted it, but it really is better in the case of mead.

There are practically no commercial meaderies that make anything like the kind of product craft breweries make for beer... 90% of mead on the market is the mead equivalent of budweiser. Would you really want to judge whether or not to make beer based on how Bud tastes?

Plus, you can make 5 gallons of mead for what it would cost to buy 2 750ml bottles of commercial mead. If you have a 1 gallon jug, you can make your own for less than it would cost to buy it in the store.

I really wouldn't bother looking for commercial examples - see if you can prevail upon someone here to maybe mail you a bottle of mead, or just take the plunge and make it yourself.

I am interested in making a batch of mead, but I have never tasted it before. I live in eastern Pennsylvania and would like to know where I could buy a bottle or two? Searching on the net did not come up with any results. Thank you.
As you live in PA, check the state stores. It's technically a wine and would be found in most of the same places you see wine.

Depending on where in PA you're at, there's an excellent store northeast maryland called State Line Liquors and is just the greatest place on earth.

As for trying something you've never had, I recommend getting a mix of dry to semi-sweet to sweet. Personally, ultra-dry tastes like rubbing alcohol to me, so I like semi-sweet to dessert style.

I'd bet if you like wine, your dryness tastes would be very similar.

Jezter - I hereby nominate you to bring some commercial samples of mead to the next MD brew day! Much appreciated. State line liquors is waaay to far to go for us DC-ites.

Cugel - if you can get it out where you live - check out berrywine plantations medieval mead - good stuff!

Berrywine Plantations is out in fredneck/mt airy, so you should be able to get it local.

Cugel - if you can get it out where you live - check out berrywine plantations medieval mead - good stuff!

Berrywine Plantations is out in fredneck/mt airy, so you should be able to get it local.

They also have T'ej for sale. That might be an interesting afternoon drive for the kids and all.

"Oh, honey look - a vineyard, lets go and see if they have any of the dry reds you like so much". :)

You might be able to order some, depending on the laws in your state.
Check out Rabbit's Foot Meadery, White Winter Winery, and Redstone Meadery.
I've had stuff from Rabbit's Foot and White Winter and have heard good things about Redstone. :)

Alas, us MD-ites cannot legally receive wine shipped through the mail. Kinda weird as VA has a better developed wine industry, but VA rezidents can receive wine through the mail.

Funny old world.

Here's a link to find some Bee Nektar. The Cinnamon Vanilla is my wife's favorite. They don't sell this brand in PA but hopefully you can find something close enough. I've had some home-brewed Raspberry and that's what I'm going to start with. :D

http://www.bnektar.com/index.php/states/md-stores.html

EDIT: We actually found better prices than what the website had posted and saved about $5.00 a bottle.

Hey I live in eastern pa also , I make mead and have been giveing ppls samples and bottles out .

On a side note I also am highly intersted in looking for investors that would be intersted in investing into a meadary just incase anyone reading happens to know anyone.

Back