Where to buy kegs cheap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brrrr

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently got into brewing and so far I've been bottling my beer. I'd much rather be kegging, but I would like to find some new kegs for decent prices. My keggerator can fit 3 with a co2 tank, but they need to be 23" or less in height. My budget is approximately $250 and I'm in California, if that makes a difference. Thanks, appreciate any help.

Check into pin lock kegs. They seem to be more available versus the ball lock. I know adventures in homebrewing homebrewing.org. They typcially have about 5 of them for 140 bucks, so roughly 28 a piece which is cheap. So that way you will still have half your budget for fittings / tank / regulator and so forth. The kegs are 22". They also have low profile ball lock kegs or 3 gallon kegs which maybe an option. You could fit 3 of the kegs for serving and have the other 2 for natural carbing or store sanitizer for cleaning... You can never have too many kegs. My kegerator holds 4 kegs and I prime / natural carb the 5th keg, so when one blows I have one ready to go.

Adventures in Home Brewing has low profile used ball lock kegs(THEY'RE NOT CONVERTED PIN LOCK). 22". $29.99 + cheap shipping.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Loose-HandleBottom-5-Gallon-Low-Profile-Ball-Lock-Keg-wLid-_p_4998.html

Their "loose handle/bottom" kegs are a great deal, and a little Gorilla Glue fixes them forever! They're not as ugly as their picture makes them out to be. All the one's I have look normal. They've got tons of them too. These are the best deals I have found on the internet. If you are buying 4 or more, call them first. I've been told they'll give you a discount too...

If you have any issue with their products, they pay return shipping too!

You could also go with pin locks. They are shorter than ball locks.

Kegconnection.com is running some sales for the 4th.
To me, the benefit of ball lock is that they're more narrow so you can usually fit one more in a keezer than pin locks. However, they're taller. Pin locks are cheaper, which is better. They both function the same.

Best to choose what freezer you want (or fridge) and then figure out what kind of keg. The converted pin locks with loose handles are now ball locks but you lose the "more narrow" part. You save a ton. Only go to ball lock if you have to. I did because I wanted to keep my keezer at 7 cu. ft. and fit as many as possible. Thus, ball lock. If I didn't care about that I would have saved a ton and gotten pin locks.

Back