Where to buy corny kegs in Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richardwhittaker

Reaction score
Hi,

After years of bottling beer. I finally decided to start putting together a keg setup. I have spent quit a bit of time looking for places to get the bits and pieces for my setup.

I now have a 20lb CO2 canister that my Dad picked up for me for $70 at a fire extinguisher place in Brockville.
I ordered my regulator and disconnects from Simgo (that was a good experience I ordered them on a Tuesday and they arrived the next day).

I thought I had found a place to get my Kegs from.... I found this site expertbrewers.com, they had the best prices on kegs that I had found, and they were located in Canada with great shipping prices.

I ordered the kegs three and a half weeks ago and have heard nothing since the order confirmation. All my inquires have been met by silence.

I will be giving it another week and then if I don't hear form them I will be calling the credit card company to cancel the payment. However that still leaves me with a complete kegging setup minus the kegs :(

So to wrap up this post does anyone know of a place to get kegs in canada? I am on a budget and the duty charges for shipping across the border is a bit much to swallow.

Richard
Kingston Ontario

Hey Richard, welcome to the site first off...

for kegs, all i can say is shop around. You can first try Princess Auto, they had a bunch, but they've been going quickly. Item # 8258170 is what you're looking for. Other than local homebrew shops(which are ridiculously priced) you're best bet is to wait it out on kijiji. They pop up from time to time.

Thanks!

I have sent an e-mail to the seller. For $10 pop they are a steal! I had not thought about Craigs list... Most of the online classifieds around Kingston have not been that helpful.

once again thanks!

Richard

Thanks for the welcome:)

I have found another online seller which looks reasonable. Has anyone had any experience with buying from http://www.brewersdiscount.com ?

They seem to have reasonable prices (the exchange rate is not to bad at the moment).

Richard

Prices look decent, just get a price quote on shipping first....and DO NOT ship via UPS...:mug: USPS only, for me anyways..:ban:

I've been searching for about 2 months on kijiji and I've found one for $40 with some extra bits, which I think was a great deal. Patience is key...

Yup, patience is definately worth it in the end. The most i've paid for kegs so far was the $25 from princess auto. Got the CO2 tanks at a great price as well through kijiji.

Seamus, seen this one a few days ago....i sent an email asking for pics but haven't gotten a reply yet. Its a decent deal, as long as the tank is up to date, but one might get a better deal with some dickering as its not a superb deal...but still a bit cheaper than LHBS.

http://fredericton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-other-Home-Brew-Kegging-System-W0QQAdIdZ152268414

I have opened a Dispute with Paypal to resolve my issues with expertbrewers.com. So I will not be purchasing any kegs untill that is resolved. I ordered two kegs from them at a reasonable price $87 including shipping. Hopefully I will get them but if I don't, I need the money to order other ones.

Richard

I have opened a Dispute with Paypal to resolve my issues with expertbrewers.com. So I will not be purchasing any kegs untill that is resolved. I ordered two kegs from them at a reasonable price $87 including shipping. Hopefully I will get them but if I don't, I need the money to order other ones.

Richard

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, hope it gets resolved. He was/maybe still is?? a vendor on here...by the looks of his post history though, he hasn't been around in a while. I do beleive he's running this outfit out of his own house as a side thing though...if i remember correctly.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/expertbrewers-com-15-off-37-5-hours-left-116642/

Seamus, seen this one a few days ago....i sent an email asking for pics but haven't gotten a reply yet. Its a decent deal, as long as the tank is up to date, but one might get a better deal with some dickering as its not a superb deal...but still a bit cheaper than LHBS.

http://fredericton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-other-Home-Brew-Kegging-System-W0QQAdIdZ152268414

After comparing everything in the add to the prices at my LHBS, it turns out that it's actually a pretty sweet deal if I didn't have to factor gas money for my room mate's Jeep into the equation ha ha. I hope you get a response :rockin:

I just go a response from him. He has said his shipment of Kegs were held up at the border. I can understand a small operator having issues with shipping on time. I just wish he had replied to my earlier inquiries as to what that status of my order was. Just a simple note that it was delayed and I would have been satisfied.

I wish it had not gotten to the point of having to open a dipute to get a reply from him...

Richard

I just go a response from him. He has said his shipment of Kegs were held up at the border. I can understand a small operator having issues with shipping on time. I just wish he had replied to my earlier inquiries as to what that status of my order was. Just a simple note that it was delayed and I would have been satisfied.

I wish it had not gotten to the point of having to open a dipute to get a reply from him...

Richard

Amazing at how quick you got a response from him once a dispute was open...hahahahaha...let the excuses fly now...i'd still wait for the refund and order elsewhere...this is just my opinion.:drunk: Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :mug:

Sorry to hear about the problem, hope it all works out. As said above, Princess Auto gets them in every once in a while. Picked up 5 at $20 each, that was earlier in the summer. They have them sitting out in the store, so I got to pick up the best condition ones. Some of them were still full of soda, so I guess if they don't hold pressure, Pepsi just discarded them.

Some of them were still full of soda, so I guess if they don't hold pressure, Pepsi just discarded them.

Pepsi is switching to bag-in-the-box system and doing away with most of these kegs. Saves on hassle of returning them for deposits and full ones. Hence why the large quantities available for sale...just need to find the places selling them.

As I had not heard from expertbrewers.com today. I asked for a refund if the kegs were not shipped today. The response I got was that he got the wrong kegs in(pin lock instead of ball lock) so he would be giving me a refund. With that piece of news I whent and ordered 3 rebuilt kegs from Brewers Discount. For $25 USD ea.

Richard

As I had not heard from expertbrewers.com today. I asked for a refund if the kegs were not shipped today. The response I got was that he got the wrong kegs in(pin lock instead of ball lock) so he would be giving me a refund. With that piece of news I whent and ordered 3 rebuilt kegs from Brewers Discount. For $25 USD ea.

Richard

Keep me updated on what shipping runs you, just in case i need more...:mug:

Well, I still have not hear from Brewers Discount :(... I'm beginning to wonder if the problem is me?:confused:

Anyhoo I'm not going to stress over it. My Dad is going to give me a couple of his kegs when I see him later this week. So when I get the kegs I ordered I will be in good shape for some time.:D

Richard

Update on my trials and tribulations in online keg buying....
Still have not gotten my refund from expertbrewers.com I have escalated my papal dispute to a claim.

My first order to brewers discount: Made the order online, got the order confirmation, sent off a quick e-mail asking them to let me know when the kegs would be shipped. Waited a week heard nothing, so I sent off another inquiry. Quickly got a response that my credit card had been declined(it is possible that I entered the number wrong or something) So I place another order last week(made sure the credit card number was right, got the order confirmation.....and have heard nothing...

I just saw this on the classifieds and If Insc02 is willing to ship to Canada then I think I will cancel my order and buy from him.

Richard

Hey Richard, have you tried Simgo yet? They're in canada, not sure if he got kegs though. Just give them a call and ask, very nice to deal with.

I have found my kegs!:rockin::ban:
Someone recommended I get in touch with R.D.Strickand turns out he used to work for Cornelius 30 odd years ago before the started his beverage equipment supply business. He has bought and sold hundreds of thousands kegs in the last thirty years (I got a nice history of the business, found out that hoover used to make soda kegs:drunk:). He was selling refurbished kegs for 50 buck a pop, he has gotten out of the keg business as the supply dried up. He told me he still had about 50 kegs sitting around but he would need to go through them and put some time into refurbishing them for sale. I asked how much he would let them go for if I bought a bunch and refurbished them myself (I was gambling on out of a batch of 10 I might get 3-4 that I could get to hold pressure.) My heart skipped a beat when he said he would let me have them for $2 each. I am heading to my SWMBO's parents for Thanksgiving this weekend and she wanted to stop to visit a university friend in Toronto on the way there. R.D.Strickland is about a 45 min drive from there. This get me thinking I may be able to sell this to SWMBO: I drop her off at her friends drive up buy as many kegs as I can fit in the Mazda 5 (20-30)?, then come back and pick her up and head off to he parents place for dinner. I thought I was going to have to work at selling this to her(she will not drink beer at all, it took 5 years before I convinced her to let me start building my kegging system)... I expected her to ask why I needed so many kegs... etc... So I prepared my arguments and told her about it she said that it made perfect sense, before I could use any of my carefully thought out reasons why it was a good plan! I knew there was a reason why I married her:D.

So if I am lucky I may come out of this with extra working kegs (I will have a bunch to use as secondary fermentors or for random projects (pontoon canoe?)

Damn thats quite the deal!

I've been wanting kegs for a while but can't find any locally and the shipping costs on them from the states is horrid!

Awesome find...pile as many inside that 5 as you can....i'd remove the seats too if they're not needed... :)...at $2 per keg, its cheaper to buy them as they are, than to buy replacement parts for good ones....so you'll have lots for parts... ;)

I just got off the phone with R.D.Strickland and he said he gets $50 a tank for a good one that holds pressure. I do need some parts so I might check it out anyway.

I just got off the phone with R.D.Strickland and he said he gets $50 a tank for a good one that holds pressure. I do need some parts so I might check it out anyway.

I am going to be meeting up with Bob Strickland tomorrow. Would you like me to give you a PM with some details of the keg stuff he has? From talking to him it sounds like he has a bunch of bits and pieces as well as the kegs themselves.

Richard

By the way you have exeeded you quota for PMs

Back