Where to buy bulk DME cheap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidAthlete

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a few years and have recently staring brewing more often. As a result I am looking to reduce my cost as much as possible...like everyone else. With two little ones to take care of through out the week, all grain isn't really an option for me right now. This leads me to my question. I'm looking for the cheapest supplier of Light DME. Does any one have any leads for 50# bags cheap?
Thanks for all the great info you guys post. It fires me up to get another batch in the keg!

Good luck with your search for cheap dme. The absolute cheapest way to go is all grain. You can buy bulk western grain for about .79 per pound if you look. That's about what i buy it for. Cultivate your own yeast, grow your own hops, hell you can brew 10 gallons for about 15 bucks.

Thanks, Allgrain is in the future, but not happening now or too soon. Maybe partial mash. We'll see.

i've looked for this for some time and shipping seems to be the biggest factor to consider. i'd be curious to see if there are cheaper places but Austin Home Brew seemed to be the best price, and the 7.99 flat rate shipping applies to bulk.

full disclosure: i have yet to make this purchase...but it is just over $3/lb shipped.

NCM, $98 for 50pound light dme, figure about $20 for shipping

Good brewing strategy. Although DME is the most expensive way to brew, it is the most practical for those of us who can't brew on a schedule and must seize an opportunity to get a batch in the fermenter.

Having ingredients on hand with a long shelf-life (DME in 'seal-a-meal' bags, pellet hops and dry yeast in the fridge) is perfect for those 'wild-hair' scratch batches.

Gentlemen,

Greetings, I used to buy D.M.E. for $135. a 50 Lb bag.
Then when the gas prices went sky high the price at my homebrew supply went up $40. a bag!
$175. for a 50Lb bag!
And my homebrewing world came crashing down around me.
I used to brew Mein Acht Pfund Hammerbier for .67 cents a 16 oz bottle.
It was 6 3/4% alcohol and I made it {and drank it} for years.
With paying .93 cents for a homebrew It is easier to buy store bought beer.
I'll be dammed if I spend all coon hunting season,
slaving over a hot brew pot
to save .15 cents on a 16 oz ale!
I'll just drink Shiner and Grolsch!

But I was thinking about the old days.
I love to brew and miss those brew days.
I saw tonight that D.M.E. was $125. for a 50 Lb sack,
checked it out and its true!
Now I haven't brewed much in a couple of years
but help me 'get my mind right' on this.
Has there been a large price drop for D.M.E ???

Thank you...

Lets git ignert and go coon hunting...

J. Winters von Knife Himself

dont think there was a price drop for dme. NCM is just a wholesale place so they have cheap prices

bkov,

Thanks man,
I am just getting reorientated with the brewing,
as it is just now getting cooler.
My fault,
I was reading the price on L.M.E. rather than D.M.E.
But since you bring mention it,
I am planning on getting into whole grain when I can
but for now...
L.M.E. is 1/2 the price of D.M.E!

{& If kept fresh and used within a week
is supposed to be as good}

Luck & Later...

J. Knife

Jack,

The price of extracts have soared, North Country Malt does have a decent deal on LME 60 pound pail for like 72 bucks. I went all grain a couple of years ago when the price jump hit.

You gotta go all grain these days IMO, buy grain by the sack and hops by the pound, you could probably get that "hammerbier" down to about 40 cents a pint.

oh and btw, IMO LME will last a good while if kept cool, and even longer if cold, or maybe even a helluva long time if frozen.

happy hunting!

dme is only $98 for a 50lb sack, which stores better then lme and you need less of per brew

Gentlemen,

I called the 'Headquarters' and talked to Chris about Whole Grain.
He pretty much told me what I had figured out the night before,
that L.M.E. at $2.49 Lb is 1/2 the price of D.M.E.
{even accounting for the 20% more L.M.E. which must be used}
Whole grain with $300, worth of gear and really cheap grain
uses twice the amount of grain and twice the amount of time,
to brew.
And that for me,
he recommended I go back to using L.M.E.

I decided rather than buy a 33 Lb bucket or use those 4.5 Lb pails to haul my L.M.E.
{which accounts for air getting on the L.M.E and souring it}
{It should be used within a week}
I asked old Chris about a 180 Lb barrel of pale L.M.E.
with carbon dioxide gas to keep it fresh,
and he is getting back to me.

That's the solution to my brewing problem.
It would keep lots of fresh L.M.E. on hand,
taste as good as D.M.E. being fresh,
and save on gas. And speaking of cost...
At $2.49 for one pound...
Think, how much, price break 'per pound' on a 180 Lb barrel!
{$2.00 per pound?}
I can brew Mein Acht Pfund Hammerbier for .50 cents!
And one barrel of L.M.E. would brew 19- 5 gallon batches.
95 gallons of 6 3/4% alcohol homebrew!
{I can brew 15 gallons a week}
That's 95 gallons of 6 3/4% homebrew in 5 weeks
with one trip to the Homebrew supply.
{and I can only drink 30 gallons a month!}

Jack's back!

God is Great Sabu...

{need a knife?}

J. Knife

I think we have a better deal on DME than DMEmart.

Here is a link:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_21_72_615

DMEmart 18 pounds DME= $71.94

www.austinhomebrew.com 18 pounds DME= $63.99

and only $7.99 flat rate shipping. So if you want more items than DME you don't pay any additional shipping than $7.99

Many people are fooled by the free shipping offer. It doesn't make it a better deal.

Forrest

I got 20lb from http://www.rebelbrewer.com/ for $62. They bagged it how I wanted, so that was nice. Shipping was quite a bit more than Austin HB. I would say that the total cost was pretty much even. So if you have more items that you need at the same time, saving on shipping with Austin HB would be the way to go.

http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/pricing/NC_SalesBook.pdf

if it asks for a password its, greatmalt

malt extract is on page 22.
50pound briess light dry extract $98
60pound briess light liquid extract $73

you'll have to call or email for a shipping quote though.

Much appreciated. I think most people will agree that 98 for 50lb is a great deal.

I may have to switch back and do some (actually man) extract brews, so this would save me a major expense.

With about $30 shipping, right? What is the final price?

I got a quote for two 50lb grain bags shipped for $38 from NCM in Northern NY, but I think only shipping 50lbs will still be about 30.

NCM -->98+30=128/50=2.56/lb

Rounding your numbers--> 64+8=72/18=4/lb

Granted I'd have to repackage and all. But I can handle that.

I'll be looking at about $20/5 gallon batch for a ~1.055 brew due to current hop pricing.

Edit: Unless you're talking about the rebel brewing price. if that is the case and you're thinking 30 shipping you're looking at 4.6/lb

I am comparing homebrew store to homebrew store (only fair). You can't compare wholesalers to homebrew stores. The wholesalers are where homebrew stores buy thier DME. So a comparison wouldn't be fair.

You should buy where you can get the best deal just don't compare wholesalers with homebrew stores.

Forrest

Yeah, thats what I realized after I posted. Its a very good point.

When it comes down to it, DME is expensive, but I've always preferred it to LME.

Awesome price. Anyone have any good ideas for dividing a bulk bag like this into smaller units to save? Without having to buy a heat sealer.

Back