Where is Peyton Manning Headed? poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peyton's new team

• Jets

• Dolphins

• Cardinals

• Seahawks

• Redskins

• Broncos

• Other

• Retirement

Results are only viewable after voting.
He will be in Denver tonight to have a meeting with Elway and Bowlen. Denver is pro manning now. No one here is even talking about tebow

Jacksonville would give Denver a 1st rounder for Tebow. They need a QB pretty bad, Gabbart pretty much sucked balls his first year, and that's Tebow territory down there.

I'd love to see Manning in Denver, because I called that MONTHS ago!

Jacksonville would give Denver a 1st rounder for Tebow. They need a QB pretty bad, Gabbart pretty much sucked balls his first year, and that's Tebow territory down there.

I'd love to see Manning in Denver, because I called that MONTHS ago!

The Jags new owner, Shahid Kahn, is a huge Tebow fan and if he were brought back here to Jacksonville, FL, they'd have a serious sold out season on their hands. Northeast and Central FL worshipped Tebow like a god while he was with the Gators. A little hometown is what this town could use.

Sold out season, and they wouldn't be able to keep the jerseys on the shelf. I remember seeing a drafts special where they showed the Jacksonville fans being absolutely devastated when the team passed on Tebow (and drafted someone way higher than they were projected, can't remember who).

It's possible that Jacksonville already has a deal in place for Tebow if the Broncos pick up Manning. And for Jacksonville, what they really need is a boosted fan base. Otherwise they will be headed south in no time.

Technically, wouldn't they be headed west (i.e. to Los Angeles?)

I know it's :off:, but I'll be shocked if Brandon Lloyd isn't on the Pats next season. He's on ESPN Boston Radio today, grovelling again to be signed. I'm not sure I've ever seen a free agent (other than Randy Moss) appeal so directly to a particular franchise to be signed. It's... odd. He's doing other interviews in the area as well.

I don't know why but I see him with Seattle. I was going to vote Bills but, ol' Ralphie won't flip the bill for a high-caliber player. Kyle

My vote is for Miami along with Reggie Wayne. With a new coaching staff and somebody like Peyton coming in and most likely being able to run the offense how he wants I see Miami easily becoming a playoff team, not to mention other offensive tools such as Bush and Marshal. I hope to see him there, that would be some damn good football.

the_bird said:
Technically, wouldn't they be headed west (i.e. to Los Angeles?)

I know it's :off:, but I'll be shocked if Brandon Lloyd isn't on the Pats next season. He's on ESPN Boston Radio today, grovelling again to be signed. I'm not sure I've ever seen a free agent (other than Randy Moss) appeal so directly to a particular franchise to be signed. It's... odd. He's doing other interviews in the area as well.

Branding Lloyd would fit. He is the kind of wr they were missing. Plus he can be had for relatively cheap. Let's face it, their tight ends can only get them so far. Welker is not much of a deep threat, and branch has his best days behind him. They need someone to stretch the field.

I think AZ is his best fit. He better act soon though. No more Skins or Jets in the bidding pool. His number of suiters is dropping!

So far the peyton manning sweepstakes have been interesting. Seeing the skins pay heavily for the second pick was not something i saw coming. Then the jets signing sanchez long term? Wow. They must not want to win. At best sanchez is a game manager a la Alex smith. He has been overvalued since his drafting, lucky guy.

And now Alex Smith is visiting Miami. Wonder how that will wash out for SF? I had a feeling that going after Peyton would be a bad move for them.

Eh...I think it's a good deal for the Broncos but I wouldn't necessarily trade Tebow away. The kid needs to develop and who to learn better from than Manning?

I'm not a Tebow fan or an Anti-Tebow guy; I'm indifferent. Tebow obviously has a great deal of success in college so he's not a total waste. I'd keep him on the roster, get his technique down, and have him as Manning's back up. Manning realistically has 2 -3 years max left in his career and is one hit away from ending his career.

Eh...I think it's a good deal for the Broncos but I wouldn't necessarily trade Tebow away. The kid needs to develop and who to learn better from than Manning?

I'm not a Tebow fan or an Anti-Tebow guy; I'm indifferent. Tebow obviously has a great deal of success in college so he's not a total waste. I'd keep him on the roster, get his technique down, and have him as Manning's back up. Manning realistically has 2 -3 years max left in his career and is one hit away from ending his career.

You just can't have that dynamic working against you in the locker room, though.

Besides, Manning is there to win, not to teach. You read about him in Indy - for better or worse, he never gave up any practice reps to Painter or Orvlosky or any of his backup. He's not a guy who's ever really approach teaching his backup as being a high priority.

And, I still think Jacksonville gives up a fairly good pick for Tebow. Maybe a 1st rounder, maybe not; no worse than a 2013 1st or 2012 2nd. That's the only team that makes sense for Tebow, and it does make sense even after signing Chad Henne (who's proving to be no more than a backup, anyway). If ownership wants to keep the team in Jacksonville, they need to do something in a hurry to boost fan interest; trade for Tebow, and they'll quadruple their season ticket sales.

Jax should pursue Tebow, at least because it could make the team owners a ton of money.

However, I think Tebow would be better suited as a RB where he could run some option plays and pass every once in a while. It would create a lot of complexity in the offense just by teaching one player, already used to playing options, to play some options. You could run wildcat plays that end in a pass. I don't know if Tebow would accept a shift in positions...

Being from Denver and watching tebow play every snap in the pros I would love to see him gone. The circus will never stop if he is in town no matter who the starter is. This was the only way Elway could get him out the door without having to deal with a riot. Tebow won't be a bronco next year

Jax should pursue Tebow, at least because it could make the team owners a ton of money.

However, I think Tebow would be better suited as a RB where he could run some option plays and pass every once in a while. It would create a lot of complexity in the offense just by teaching one player, already used to playing options, to play some options. You could run wildcat plays that end in a pass. I don't know if Tebow would accept a shift in positions...

I think this would be a great idea. Any play could go any direction with him at the RB position. For all his shortcomings, Tebow does read defenses VERY well. So to have a second QB minded guy in there that gets the ball tossed/handed to him, it would be all the better.

See, I think his running abilities are being overrated. His first six starts, he was averaging 7.1 yards/carry. The last six (regular season), he was around 3.5/carry - and he only had one game (against the Pats) which was >4.1 (and then NE shut down his rushes in the playoffs). He's also fumbled the ball quite a bit. He's good in space, but his fundamentals as an NFL running back are just as bad as his fundamentals as an NFL quarterback - he runs way too upright.

He ought to be playing basically as an H-back/quasi-tight end. He can still get some carries (Aaron Hernandez gets some rushes out of this position, and does very well with them). But, use him as a receiver, get him the ball on some quick slants, get him out in space on some screen passes. Tebow is at his best in the open field, where he's got the quickness to make defensive linemen miss and the strength to shed the tackles of defensive backs. Even a few (small number) of Wildcat-like option plays; I've said for two years, he's the Evolutionary Ronnie Brown (even though I don't think he believes in evolution).

But, I don't see him as a classic, between-the-tackles NFL running back.

See, I think his running abilities are being overrated. His first six starts, he was averaging 7.1 yards/carry. The last six (regular season), he was around 3.5/carry - and he only had one game (against the Pats) which was >4.1 (and then NE shut down his rushes in the playoffs). He's also fumbled the ball quite a bit. He's good in space, but his fundamentals as an NFL running back are just as bad as his fundamentals as an NFL quarterback - he runs way too upright.

He ought to be playing basically as an H-back/quasi-tight end. He can still get some carries (Aaron Hernandez gets some rushes out of this position, and does very well with them). But, use him as a receiver, get him the ball on some quick slants, get him out in space on some screen passes. Tebow is at his best in the open field, where he's got the quickness to make defensive linemen miss and the strength to shed the tackles of defensive backs. Even a few (small number) of Wildcat-like option plays; I've said for two years, he's the Evolutionary Ronnie Brown (even though I don't think he believes in evolution).

But, I don't see him as a classic, between-the-tackles NFL running back.

I doubt he's ever received training as a RB so as a QB running in the NFL he doesn't seem that bad. Training could probably go a long way. But I do agree, he's not cut out to be a typical RB. His ability to go multiple routes in a play (passing, running, receiving, blocking) and ability to read a defense makes him incredibly flexible and just having that flexibility out there in one person could really mess with a defense. It's a low risk option. You can get a complex offensive scheme but only have to teach one person a very complex role. Since he's a QB he's used to having to know all the plays so it's not like you're trying to teach a player of questionable mental skills.

I'm not sure I buy the whole "reading defenses" thing - that was one of the major knocks on him as a QB, he had a lot of trouble going through his progressions. A lot of those rushes (successful, BTW) came as a result of seeing his first read not being there, and his taking off and playing backyard football.

And with Tebow, it's always a question of... can you fix his mechanics? They haven't been able to *fix* anything with his QB mechanics, now you want to make him learn how to play RB?

I've said it since before he was drafted and I still believe it: Tebow's ideal position in the NFL would be fullback. I think he would be terrific (think Daryl "Moose" Johnston) and good fullbacks are hard to find.
He's quick but not fast and strong=good lead blocking and short yardage carries
He can read D's=good pass blocking/blitz pickup/slipping out on delayed route with no blitz, etc.
Toss in a couple of well-timed short passes and maybe the occasional trick play and you've got a really valuable weapon.
You know the guy is clutch and with his work ethic he's a guy you want in the locker room despite the media circus that comes with him.
I do agree, though, that he can't stay in Denver.

I'm not sure I buy the whole "reading defenses" thing - that was one of the major knocks on him as a QB, he had a lot of trouble going through his progressions. A lot of those rushes (successful, BTW) came as a result of seeing his first read not being there, and his taking off and playing backyard football.

And with Tebow, it's always a question of... can you fix his mechanics? They haven't been able to *fix* anything with his QB mechanics, now you want to make him learn how to play RB?

I've read multiple times from critics that one of his big strengths is reading defenses. And after watching him a couple times I would agree he does a good job. I don't think he could be an every down back, but throw him in a few times a series at RB and you have the option to snap it straight to him, hand it off, or throw it to him while behind scrimmage and then he can run or throw it. Even with his bad mechanics and accuracy he would still be far more dangerous than any current RB throwing the ball.

I've read more about his ability to break down complex offenses than his ability to make good reads on D's on the fly.
I have no doubt that he works really hard on making good reads, studies a lot, etc. And I have no doubt that he reads D's better than non-quarterbacks, rookie qb's, and most backups in the league. Again, that's part of the reason I think he'd be a great fullback.

A good FB makes a mediocre RB look good and a good RB look like great. He also keeps your QB upright and provides a change of pace for those critical situations. It's a very underrated position.

I've read more about his ability to break down complex offenses than his ability to make good reads on D's on the fly.
I have no doubt that he works really hard on making good reads, studies a lot, etc. And I have no doubt that he reads D's better than non-quarterbacks, rookie qb's, and most backups in the league. Again, that's part of the reason I think he'd be a great fullback.

A good FB makes a mediocre RB look good and a good RB look like great. He also keeps your QB upright and provides a change of pace for those critical situations. It's a very underrated position.

In time the FB will be understood. For years I've been saying the TE position was underrated and underutilized. Only the last couple years has it become a bigger part of the game.

In time the FB will be understood. For years I've been saying the TE position was underrated and underutilized. Only the last couple years has it become a bigger part of the game.

I think you're more apt to see the H-back role continue developing - the guy who can line up (as a quasi-fullback) in the backfield, who can line up as a tight end, who can split out wide. That's where my boy Aaron Hernandez shines, and where I do think Tebow could excel. The classic, Moose Johnson-type fullback will remain a relic unless/until you see teams moving back to the three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust mode of offense - but every rule change, every development in the game has been in the opposite direction.

How many teams even have a fullback on their roster? I know New England didn't until the very end of the season; if they needed a big body in the backfield, they'd line up one of the more-athletic offensive linemen.

The re-emergence of the tight end position, you also have to attribute that simply to the guys who happened to have entered the league recently. Guys like Gronk and Hernandez and Jermichial (sp?) Finley and that kid in New Orleans - they're beasts. I don't think it was a matter previously of not emphasizing the tight end - you just didn't see players with that blend of size, speed, and skill entering the league. There used to be one "Tony Gonzales"-type player in the league (Tony Gonzalez) - now, there's probably eight or nine.

Back