Where Is Craft Beer Most Popular In America?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today's ZeroHedge had an interesting article on where craft brewing is most popular, as judged not only by the number of breweries, but the number of breweries per capita:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-05-03/where-craft-beer-most-popular-america

Vermont has the greatest number of breweries per capita; California has the most by number.

It would be interesting if they could re-do the analysis not by number of breweries but by barrels produced (leaving out the macro breweries).

I had to read the article carefully; toward the end, they note

The title of most breweries per capita goes to Vermont. Even though they only have about 50 in total, since the state is so small, that equates to 8 breweries per person. Montana, Colorado, Maine, and Oregon all have about 6 breweries per person.

Eight breweries per person? I'm moving to Vermont! Except...if I did that, the number of breweries per person might change.....

If you read the article carefully, you'll realize that they mean eight breweries per 100,000 residents....not per person.

Whenever I see mistakes like that I read the article far more closely than I might otherwise, looking for other mistakes either in the numbers or the interpretation. Rarely does Zerohedge make a mistake like that.

Still...lots of variety out there. Apparently. :)

#2 total and #3 per capita. Not to mention my beloved Boulder and Fort Collins at #1 and #3 cities per capita. I love living in Colorado.

Back