Where is all the sediment coming from?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillyblue

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA from extract and 2 hours after transferring it to the carboy I already an inch of sediment, and was wondering where it came from?

While transferring it, I ran it through a fairly fine strainer which caught the hops. In fact the strainer got clogged a lot so I had to keep cleaning it.

Can the extract produce sediment? or can the yeast multiple that quickly?

Also, I had a very active fermentation and was wondering if all the sediment contributed to the active fermentation?

Thanks!!!

Yeast multiple very quickly. You also get proteins that coagulate and fall out. Tiny hop particles also add to it.

You'll also get the floury,more misty part of the malts settling out as well. A fine mesh strainer won't trap the super fine stuff. I tried.

did you pour everything from the boil kettle....or did you leave the thick break at the bottom in the pot?

pwkblue said:
did you pour everything from the boil kettle....or did you leave the thick break at the bottom in the pot?

I poured everything in. Next time after chilling the wort I am going to let things settle in the pot first and then siphon it into my carboy. And the top off with water

I poured everything in. Next time after chilling the wort I am going to let things settle in the pot first and then siphon it into my carboy. And the top off with water

Why? Is your purpose to get clear wort or do you want clear beer? Pour it all into the fermenter and let the yeast do their thing, sorting out what they want to eat and letting the rest settle to the bottom of the fermenter. Given time, it will settle and become clear. Carefully rack it to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar, cap it and wait.

Dont.

Pour it all in and let the beer ferment, it will settle out...it wont do anything to your beer.

I'll disagree with the last 2 posts.....there is nothing you need or want at the bottom of your Boil Kettle after cooling. Letting the hops and break settle so you can leave them behind is important. If some makes it into the fermenter it will settle out....but the more you leave behind the better. In my opinion there is no reason to siphon or go too crazy....by the time the wort has cooled everything will have settled pretty well...you can simply pour off the top until you reach the break material. If there is still wort....you can let the boil kettle settle again for a few minutes...and our off the top again.

Yup,the more you keep out of the fermenter,the more beer you'll get out of it. That crud is all worthless stuff,so why pour it into your FV? Leave it behind & you'll get less trub at the bottom.

Back