Where does everyone get their Co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volcom579

Reaction score
Just plain an simple. wanted to know what types of places everyone gets or could get their co2 tanks filled and how much it usually cost.

I get mine done at a local fire extinguisher shop. $15 for my 20# tank. You probably have a company come into your work to check the extinguishers at least once a year. Find out which company it is and talk to them, tell them where you work and they might give you a discount on the gas. Mine does.

Same places as mentioned, although after calling around a lot looking for beer gas I discovered a liquor store that fills CO2 cheaper than any welding or fire extinguisher place I've found. I think it was $9 for 5lb.

hagen505 said:
http://www.airgas.com/

I'm not sure of the prices, though. I'm a driver at one of their fill plants and I just get the tank filled... perks.

I get mine done at my local Airgas outlet...about $15 for a 5 lb tank. These guys must do a lot of business with us beer folks. I just found out they sell what's called "Beer Gas" which is a mix of Nitrogen and CO2. When my current tank is empty, I think I'll have to give it a try.

How would the air from a dive shop (Scuba Diving) be? I have a dive shop that is a 5 minute drive from me that I am with and my LHBS is about 30-60 minutes away depending on traffic.

I currently don't have a kegging system and dont even know the price that my LHBS refills for but will be looking at doing this for the next year. Might end up being a bday present for me! :rockin: Was to be a Christmas present but bro ended up not having a job for a lil while.

Dive shops fill their tanks with compresses air, not CO2. The other gasses that they use are a nitrogen/oxygen mix.

Oh yeah, I bought my 20# tank at Airgas. $152.85 for the tank. $11.33 for the gas. They waived the $7.50 hazmat fee. With $13.55 in tax, the total was $177.74

I have had a tank filled at a beer distributor in PA. That was like $5 but they don't actually fill it with liquid, just pressurize it to 800psi as a gas. A real fill usually means swapping the cylinder out and runs 15-20 dollars for a 5lb around the US at a welding shop, fire extinguisher, or simply gas supply place.
If you go up to a 10 lb it might be 20-25$. Point is you get ripped off by using a smaller tank!

Back