Where do you guys get kegs for brewpots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomedumbJerk

Reaction score
just wondering where i should look. the 15 gal kettles are kind of expensive, and i was wondering what it would be to get an old keg. i just moved to california from philly, and i don't know anyone who has kegs lying around anymore! it seemed like in philly half of my friends had empty kegs that they wouldn't take back after kegger parties. (jerks). any idea? thanks! or even ideas on an inexpensive 12-15 gal. pot would help!

A much discussed topic, so my first answer is try a search....
I'd try some local breweries/brew pubs in the area and see if they have any they are retiring.

All you have to do is get a keg of Budweiser, pour it out or let someone else drink it, then don't return it. Voila, you have a keggle:D
(.....Hides in bunker......)

I posted an ad on craigs list....I said I was looking for a keg, and would pay 20 bucks for it...one day later Im at a guys house picking it up :) Two days later its getting dropped off at my dads to get plasma cut(the top), and a hole drilled, and welded for a spigot...

is a hundred bucks a good deal for one thats already been cut? i'm very tempted to just buy one of the sabco ones, because after some resaerch it seems like a no-no to get a used one. but then again i think to myself, should i just buy one of the northern brewer pots with the ball valve and the thermometer? i've just built a mash-tun, and a propane stove was on sale, bought that, so i can almost justify the new kettle to the lady. especially with the keeping the kitchen clean line. and thank you for not being jerks even though this was totally something i probably could have just looked up in hindsight.. heh... love being the FNG

+1 on Craig's list, I know it may be a moral issue for you to buy one that you have no idea if it's legit but if you don't have a problem with that you should be able to get one for under 30-40 bucks I should think.

Get to know your local bartender...

you'd be surprised how many companies don't come back to pick up a keg. We got ours for free (bar owner is a friend) however most bartenders or owners will probably hook you up if you make yourself a usual and let them know you are a homebrewer. A lot of the guys that own bars around my area have brewed in the past or are quite interested in learning. Trading a few brewing sessions/lessons for a keg could be a good way to start...

+2 on craigslist as well...

I talked to a local distributor and asked what the rate on a keg deposit is and just paid him for an empty.

Back