Where do you guys find used refridge's at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AHammer16

Reaction score
I'm lookin for a fridge to make into a keg-erator. Where have you guys found them used and cheap? How much did you pay? I have been looking in my local paper, but have not had any luck yet.

Goodwill, Salvation Army and St Vincent de Paul all usually have used refrigerators, with some degree of waranty to boot. You can probably get one cheaper out of a newspaper ad, but then you may have more running around. Besides, they will deliver.:)

It also never hurts to become buds with the appliance guy at Lowes or Home Depot. When they deliver a new fridge they pick up the old one and they are stored until their waste removal company gets them. You might be able to get one of the old ones for next to nothing.

jrp3 said:
It also never hurts to become buds with the appliance guy at Lowes or Home Depot. When they deliver a new fridge they pick up the old one and they are stored until their waste removal company gets them. You might be able to get one of the old ones for next to nothing.

Yep. My father-in-law used to pick them up for free behind Lowe's all of the time. And, no, he wasn't stealing them:). People would bring in fridges on warranty and Lowe's would give them a new one. He'd fix it and sell it to someone.

The good times are over now, though. They've contracted w/ a big company to do that.

Everyone I know, I let them know that Im looking for an old fridge. You'd be surprised how many people are upgrading appliances or know someone who is. I've gotten 2 fridges for free and passed on 2 others. Just ask around...you never know.

I got mine for free. I was hanging at one of the local bars and mentioned it to the gut next to me. Another couple next to us overheard me and told me they had an old one in thier garage across the street. 10 minutes later I had my fridge. Just in the right place at right time.

I just hopped on craiglist.org Boston and found a bunch of full sized units in good condition for between $100-150 bucks-I might actually pick one up!

I would check your region.

I have built a few kegerators and found my first refrigerator in the city paper in the classified ads for $50. It needed a new thermostat, so I looked up the part online and bought it for like $15.00 bucks. It was pretty easy to install and the fridge worked great. It was a full size Whirlpool with a freezer on top. ( Good for the frosty mugs ) I bought a kegerator conversion kit form a store called austin homebrew for a little under $200, so it was about a $265 project. I later sold it for $400 to a friend.

On to kegerator #2....

Found a refrigerator at a local beer barn that the owner wasnt using. He let it go for only $15 bucks and it had the exact same problem. Thermostat. So, I replaced it again and bough the conversion kit again. I kept this one a few years and eventually sold it on Craigslist.

Kegerator 3...

I just got a refrigerator on ebay from a local couple who really didn't know what they had. It was a very cool vintage looking Fridgidaire. I have been looking for one of these for awhile cause I just think they look badass. Kind of like the Craigarators if you have ever seen those online. I am going to have to strip the paint and start from scratch , but it will be worth it. I recently moved and don't have a local homebrew shop, so I did some searching around and found a few resources for kegerator conversion kits. Probably everyone has already heard of these sites, but I thought they were pretty cool.
http://www.kegerators.net
http://www.rayfes.com/me/kegerator/kegerator.php
http://www.kegman.net

The important thing to remember when buying used refrigeration equipment is to make sure the compressor works and all the seals are intact. Most everything else can be repaired.

And there's always the "Buy your SO a new one" approach. I got mine at a used appliance place.

Digital Milk said:
The important thing to remember when buying used refrigeration equipment is to make sure the compressor works and all the seals are intact. Most everything else can be repaired.

The seals? Around the doors?

Back