Where do you get your supplies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thamessenjah

Reaction score
First post here so please be gentle :D. First brew getting ready to be bottled tomorrow and was just thinking about my next batch. My question is where does everyone buy their supplies from.

I bought my kit from Wind River Homebrewing and am pretty impressed by the ease of their instructions and how fast I got my stuff. I haven't tried the brew yet so can't speak for the quality of the product. Their prices are very good and I spoke to the guy on the phone with some questions and was a great help.

I have a brew supply shop close and have looked at Midwest's supplies and heard they were good as well, but do you always buy from the same place? Do you buy most stuff on-line? Are you more about supporting local business? I know I can pretty much get stuff wherever but wondering what you, the experts, do. Thanks for the help. BREW ON!!!!:rockin:

If you have a local shop, be sure to do your part to keep them in business. We have had two or three over the years go out of business. I support our new one when I can. If he does not have what I want I shop online.

LHBS, Northern Brewer (online), Midwest Supplies (online) and Austin Homebrew Supplies (online) and there are a host of others listed on this site (Vendors section) depending on what you're looking for.

I buy major equipment from whatever online purveyor has the best deal at the time. I can personally recommend Sabco for their used kegs ( a combo of quality, cleanliness, timely shipping and good customer service).

For my everyday ingredient and small equipment purchases, I like to support my LHBS. Fortunately, I have about 4 within reasonable driving distance from me. 99% of the time, it is the same store that I have been shopping at for 3+ yrs. The owner has been brewing (probably well in excess of the legal limit) for over a decade now and still reads, listens to podcasts, and experiments with brewing everyday. His knowledge, friendship, and quality/diverse selection keep me going back over and over again. It may cost marginally more than some online resources, but that difference is made up in face time. Support your LHBS!

We don't have a 'local' shop per se, but within about 100 km there are two. Having some supplies available in a pinch is really a good thing. Support the local shop.

B

I live in the sticks so its easier for me to order from Austin homebrew, or norther brewer. Austin has free shipping on $100 or more order so I always get enough for a few batches at a time.

I would love to support a more local place, but there is none around here.

A new brew shop opened very near me. That is what got me started, so prefer to support him when I can. I want to keep him in business because I am sure there will be times that I will need something at the last minute.

I'm two hours north of you, in Mason City. I get my stuff from Midwest in Minneapolis. BUT I have heard that you have a very good LHBS near you in Des Moines calld Beer Crazy. At least I THINK that was the name. There are a couple of other people on here from your area that have posted about it. My understanding is that they also have a very good selection of craft brews at the store.

As far as ordering online....I have ordered online from Midwest a couple of times. But we get up to Minneapolis more often than we get to Des Moines, so I usually stop at the store when we head that way.

I go to Beer Crazy in Urbandale for grains, most yeast, and hops, I shop online for most of my equipment. Grains/yeast/hops wise they are slightly more expensive than most online retailers, but when you factor shipping into the mix they are generally cheaper, plus you don't have to wait for your ingredients to arrive. Their prices on most equipment is higher by enough of a margin that I buy any big things I need online, for the best deal I can find. They don't have specific kits made up though, so you'll have to do your own research, here or on other sites, for the recipes that you want to use. The only thing Beer Crazy doesn't stock are the limited release/platinum yeasts, for those I use Midwest Brewing online.

Cheers!

Where I'm located the LHBS is over 45 mins away so I order my items online. I pick the online store that has what I'm looking for as well as price. I go through midwest and northernbrew most the time. There are things I like about each, Midwest has the finishing gravity (FG) posted/on their instruction sheets but northern has a pic of the beer for easier picking. They also give you the starting gravity (SG)/Original Gravity (OG, both mean the same) which is nice if you want to pick higher gravity brews. oh, another selling point for me with Northern is that it is always $7.99 shipping. I have not found a store/online site with less than great products so in that aspect I think they are all great! Happy brewing. Welcome to the hobby.

I buy much of my stuff froim my LHBS, but when I order online I like Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew. Austin's website is not quite as user-friendky and flashy, but their stuff is awesome and they have great prices, as does NB. I used to ordera lot from MoreBeer, but they charge actual freight, not just a $7.99 flat fee, shipping there can get expensive.

Back