Where do you get your gear??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale_mongrel

Reaction score
Hey there new to the forum, and to home brewing. So new in fact, I have yet to purchase any gear, brewpot, fermenting buckets, ect. I was wondering if any of you experinced folks have any preferred vendors (prefferably on the internet that will ship nationwide) you use, or any places to stay away from. I have already browsed the list of vendors in the forums here already, but I like to deal with merchants my peers have dealt positivly with. Is it a good idea in your opinion to buy a pre-packaged starter kit, and spend from what Ive seen 70 to 400 dollars, or buy higher quality more expensive equipment peace meal style, a little at a time till I have enough stuff to brew my first batch.???

Im open to spending some money,(Im not opposed to "investing" good money in something that I think Im gonna do for a while or something Im going to enjoy for some years) as Im pretty sure this will be a life long hobby, ive been making up my mind weather or not to do this for a couple years and have finally decided to give this a shot. I'm not the type of person whom "dabbles" either Im in and I do it well, and learn all I can about it, or Im out. Any input anyone can offer would be greatly appriciated.

I purchase almost all of my bear from midwestsupplies.com. I purchase from them because I think their prices are fair and they have some excellent customer service. For example, I had a bad regulator. I sent them an e-mail and they responded with a way to fix the problem, but if it couldn't be resolved, they would send me a new one. I couldn't get it to work, e-mailed them back, they sent me a new one with no questions asked and they paid for the return shipping.

I would buy a small kit that includes everything you need to start. You can always add things or upgrade along the way. Something like this is all you really need to get started: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-basics-equipment-kit.html

I have used Austin Home Brew and been happy with their products.

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/ Ed has some good prices and is very helpful. If you email him and ask to be put on the preferred customer list he sends out coupons from time to time and has facebook specials now and then.

+1 on Austin Home Brew and Brewmasters Warehouse. I have purchased from both of them and have been happy. I have also purchased from Bargain Fittings, Home Depot, Agri Supply, my LHBS and other internet retailers.

However before you purchase any equipment, figure out the following:

Batch size
All grain or extract
Bottles or kegs
Gas or electric
Is a mill needed for all grain
Ales or lagers
How many batches fermenting at once
single tier or multi tier brew stand
fluid movement by pump, hand or gravity
Type or wort chiller
fermentation cabinet needed
Lagering fridge needed

Get a good handle on your brewery design first and what you need vs what you want. Buy what you need and supplement as time goes on with what you want.

You can't go wrong with any of these suppliers as I routinely order from all of them. It just depends on what they stock and what specials they may have :

William's Brewing
More Beer
Midweast
Northern Brewer
Austin Homebrew

If you want to buy your equipment from local shops I would check out Zok's in Willimantic. That's where I bought my starter kit from and I buy everything I can from him even though it's 45 minutes each way just because I like the service there. His website is http://www.homemadebrew.net and he will ship stuff to you also if you don't want to make the drive.

You could also try http://www.brew-wine.com/ they are right in East Hartford. A guy I work with loves that place but the one time I went there it seemed extremely unorganized so I haven't been back.

There is http://www.bwmwct.com/ in Hartford on Murphy Rd. but I have never been there or talked to anyone that has been there.

If you decide to keg you can save a ton of money on Ebay and watching classifieds here and on CL.

If you can be patient and aren't in a rush you can find killer deals.

I thought I'd throw in my $0.02, but first, let me welcome you to the addiction, and to HBT.

I bought a starter kit when I first started brewing. If brewing isn't something you like after doing a few batches, then the kit is the cheapest way to find out. If you do like the hobby, and become addicted to it like many of us here on HBT are, the kit is a good way to get started. As for vendors, all have their strengths and weaknesses, but you'll have good luck with those mentioned above. Especially those that are advertisers here on HBT.

Good luck, and get your kit and start brewing!

You can't go wrong with any of these suppliers as I routinely order from all of them. It just depends on what they stock and what specials they may have :

William's Brewing
More Beer
Midweast
Northern Brewer
Austin Homebrew

+1 on frank's comments here. I prefer Midwest and Northernbrewer. I 've also bought a few items from williams and austin but i try to buy closer to my area. I would avoid buyin things like corny's off of ebay. I have been burned on 2 of those. i have 3 others from Nor Brewer and Midwest and they work awesome.

As far as your starter goes i would buy a more basic setup and then you can build up from their. I started with $80 kit + $20 for 48 bottles. I've since progressed a lot. but still ferment and condition in plastic buckets and make very good beer.

Welcome and good luck!!

+1 on frank's comments here. I prefer Midwest and Northernbrewer. I 've also bought a few items from williams and austin but i try to buy closer to my area. I would avoid buyin things like corny's off of ebay. I have been burned on 2 of those. i have 3 others from Nor Brewer and Midwest and they work awesome.

As far as your starter goes i would buy a more basic setup and then you can build up from their. I started with $80 kit + $20 for 48 bottles. I've since progressed a lot. but still ferment and condition in plastic buckets and make very good beer.

Welcome and good luck!!

I agree with going basic to a degree. I would add maybe a thing or two that usually doesn't come with most kits, like a chiller. Also if you have any means to make sure your temp control in fermentation is good that will make a huge difference in your brewing.

+"whatever number we are up to" to Brewmasterswarehouse. Fast shipping, flat rate and EXCELLENT customer service. They respond fast to emails and answer the phone personally.

ale_mongrel - Head on over to East Hartford to Brew Wine Hobby.
98C Pitkin Street (it is around the backside).

Noodle - When you went into Brew Wine, they may have been in the middle of renovations. The place is nice, prices are good and staff are knowledgeable.

Greetings and welcome. The only thing I can add is that MoreBeer still offers (on most items) free shipping if your order exceeds $59 (I think). Really though you can't go wrong with any of the vendors already noted in this thread.

Cheers!

I've ordered mainly from Midwest Supplies and have to vouch for their customer service. Recently they sent me a bunch of stuff, including 2 cases of swing-top bottles. 2 bottles were broken. I e-mailed them just asking for them to maybe pack things a bit more tightly next time, specifically stating that I wasn't looking for replacements (easy to buy 2 bottles at the local shop, a couple dollars). The next Saturday, FedEx rang and disappeared before I could answer the door. Package from Midwest, with 2 very tightly-wrapped swing-top bottles.

it's been mentioned a few times before, but you can get frosting buckets from any bakery for free if you ask nicely. they'll range from 2-5 gallons, usually with lids, and are great for primaries. a cheap turkey friar from the hardware store works well with no mods for the boil, and while you're there, you can pick up all the stuff you need for a nice immersion chiller (bobby m has a nice video on youtube on making one). you'll need tubing, also available at the hardware store. an air lock or two and a hydrometer. (online vendor or lhbs). that's really all you need for a bare bones starter. as you progress in your brewing, there's plenty of other toys to pick up, but those can come as you find a few extra dollars here and there. these online vendors have been good to me so far:
northernbrewer.com
homebrewing.org
rebelbrewer.com
midwestsupplies
leeners.com-only a good deal on a few things.

I have been brewing for about a year now and have acquired a fair bit of gear. I started out with a starter kit from Northern Brewer and have since added to it as I switched to all grain back in May. I typically purchase my gear from the following:

Midwest Supplies: They are usually the cheapest. My experience is that instructions and quality are not quite as good as Northern Brewer or MoreBeer.

Northern Brewer: I have purchased most of my gear from them and several ingredient kits. I have always been pleased with the quality. Their prices are higher than Midwest Supplies.

Morebeer: Good quality and instructions, but this comes at a premium price.

www.nybrewsupply.com This is where I bought my wort chiller; they had the best deal I could find.

Williams Brewing: I have bought a few gadgets from them that I thought were better or more innovative than offered by the other suppliers.

Homedepot: Rubbermaid cooler for mash tun, fittings, valves, etc...

Recently I have started to purchase ingredients from a local homebrew shop. This is beneficial since you can ask questions when you make your purchases and you don't have issues with yeast getting too warm during shipping. Ordering yeast via mail with ice packs became an issue for me this summer. I found that even with the ice packs the yeast packs were arriving swollen.

Hope this helps.

If you plan well and write things down that you need and want to have, then shop for a nice flat rate or free shipping deal, you can save more. Better to get 20 items at $8 shipping, than the same 20 items in 2 shipments at $15 each, right? Good luck!

ale_mongrel - Head on over to East Hartford to Brew Wine Hobby.
98C Pitkin Street (it is around the backside).

Noodle - When you went into Brew Wine, they may have been in the middle of renovations. The place is nice, prices are good and staff are knowledgeable.

Thanks for the heads up. I will give them another chance sometime.

I like to buy whatever I can from my LHBS, keeping them in buisness is a good thing for me. you never know when your going to forget something & need to run over to them. But If they don't have something I want I went with Northern Brewer & I like their Extract kits.
As to part 2 of your Question, I would sart with a nice starter kit. Keep it simple until you know what you want. You will still be able to use most of the kit & just add stuff to it.

I'm going to add my vote to those who advocate buying a kit from one of the Internet purveyors. I got Midwest Supplies' Intermediate Kit, and was very pleased. The only other things I had to have to get going were ingredients and a boil pot. For other "cooking" type activities, the average kitchen provides enough pans and other utensils to serve.

This will get you going on the stovetop, doing extract or maybe even partial mash batches. Then, after you've made and enjoyed some beer, you might consider going to all-grain, as I did after two years.

Back