Where do you buy your cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maylar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This being harvest time and the holidays around the corner, the local super markets have apple cider on display in the produce isles. Stop & Shop and WalMart have a couple of brands each and all of them are treated with preservatives. My source has been the local orchard, but it's a drive and the price is $7 per gallon. I'm curious to know where you guys get your raw material from and what you pay.

TIA

Mussellmans at walmart only has vitamin c. Their Great Value line also has no preservatives, but at my store the jugs of apple juice are 3 qt., not 4.

Store bought apple juice for between $.88 and $1 per litre. Walmart or any grocery store.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thats unfortunate, 20 minutes away from Frederick is Distillery Lanes Ciderworks, they grow their own special cider apples and sell it at 10$ gal, well worth the drive from anywhere to get this vs McCutcheons which makes an ok beginner cider but doesnt have the body and depth of flavor and tannins the ciderworks has. WVMJ

I go to the factory store for McCutcheon's in Frederick, MD. $4.95 for a gallon jug.

They are a regional maker of jams and jellies etc...and they make cider.
https://www.bobmccutcheon.com/newmccutcheons/indexmain.htm

I'm too lazy to even call around to various orchards to see what they have in the way of cider much less drive around.

I have generally been pretty lucky; when I was in NC, my LHBS had a cider pressing every year in the fall, and got it "hot off the press" so to speak. Before that I had a farm an hour north of me that I could do the same thing at, but had to keep calling to find out when they were pressing.

Now that I'm back up in the Pgh area, I'm hopeful that I have a line on a similar place just north of me ... I'll know this week if I can nail down a pressing date and get them to allow me to get my buckets filled right off the press!

...special cider apples and sell it at 10$ gal...

:eek: $10 bucks a gallon is pretty steep! I've never paid more than 5 or 6 for fresh pressed...

This being harvest time and the holidays around the corner, the local super markets have apple cider on display in the produce isles. Stop & Shop and WalMart have a couple of brands each and all of them are treated with preservatives. My source has been the local orchard, but it's a drive and the price is $7 per gallon. I'm curious to know where you guys get your raw material from and what you pay.

TIA

For fresh pressed, I'd have to drive an hour & pay about $9/gallon. I can get the same stuff at the grocery store too, much shorter drive, higher price ($10/gallon) & not quite as fresh. I decided this year I'd blend the fresh pressed with the Costco apple juice & crab apple juice. If I can get enough crab apples, I'll make a cider and a cyser.
Regards, GF.

I get mine for about $4 a gallon from one of the orchards near me, but I'm also in Michigan, where you can find an apple orchard without much trouble. If you must do store-bought, suggestions above are good.

I used to get local cider and ferment that, the going price is $5/gallon, but concerns about being sued and strict government regulations have caused the local orchards to stop making cider. There are a dozen orchards within 15 miles of my house, but the cider comes from a processing plant 100 miles from here.
This year I put together my own cider set up: An electric wood chipper pulps the apples, a small wine press produces the juice.
I'm getting 5 gallons out of 2 bushels of apples. The juice apples are
running between $4-$8 a bushel, I have a few trees of my own and if you look around town, there are apples available for free in people's yard if you ask for them.
I'm experimenting with what blends of juice will work best, and am expecting to have 30-40 gallons of cider going by early December.

If I had apple trees, I'd be pressing my own. Alas, all I have is Mulberries.

I've been avoiding the "apple juice from concentrate" that some stores sell, just because I have it in my head that it couldn't be as good as what I get at the orchard. But last night I picked up 2 gallons of Apple & Eve juice for $4.99 and I'm gonna give that a try.

I've heard that Musselmans cider is pretty good, but the local WalMart doesn't have it. They have Zeigler's which has preservatives.

I paid $7 a gallon from an orchard about 30 minutes away. Our local grocery sells that orchard's cider but those bottles have preservatives listed where if you go directly to the orchard it's fresh with no preservatives.

This year I put together my own cider set up: An electric wood chipper pulps the apples, a small wine press produces the juice.
I'm getting 5 gallons out of 2 bushels of apples. The juice apples are
running between $4-$8 a bushel, I have a few trees of my own and if you look around town, there are apples available for free in people's yard if you ask for them.
I'm experimenting with what blends of juice will work best, and am expecting to have 30-40 gallons of cider going by early December.

I've definitely thought about pressing my own, but as I had mentioned, I've been pretty spoiled the past few years with my LHBS's annual pressing event. I had always thought it would have been a good gig for the LHBS to also offer a fruit press for rent...I would definitely have taken advantage of that as well...

I bought some Saturday. I paid $5.50 a gallon. I bought it from a local Farm stand. I buy from these guys because they do the minimum treatment allowed by NY law. It is UV light pasteurized - no chemicals.

I bought 5-gallons, left them in the garage and came out 12 hours later to find that one had blown up like a balloon. Looks like some wild yeast took hold before I was able to get to it. It was still sealed, so their UV pasteurization apparently didn't work. I threw it in the fridge so it wouldn't explode.

Looks like I'm doing a 4-gallon batch this year. On the plus side, the infected gallon tastes pretty good. Nice and sour. I might just put an airlock on it and let it finish up.

We should make a list of all the places in each state that sell cider by the gallon, if it's pasteurized or not, and the bulk prices.

On the plus side, the infected gallon tastes pretty good. Nice and sour. I might just put an airlock on it and let it finish up.

Definitely do so! My last batch, I had a half gallon or so left sitting in a jug in my kegerator, and it started to go spontaneously... I took it out of the fridge, and just watched the beautiful pellicle grow for a few months, and then finally drop. I tasted it a few times, and it got *really* sour for a while, and I almost dumped it but let it sit for a few months more. I eventually tasted it again, and it was really, really good! I actually bottled one or two longnecks of it, and I saved the dregs in another capped bottle...I'm half thinking of pitching it intentionally into a gallon or two this year!

We should make a list of all the places in each state that sell cider by the gallon, if it's pasteurized or not, and the bulk prices

That would be nice. In the meantime, there is already a website that lists most of the orchards by state. Looks like MI has plenty of orchards
http://www.orangepippin.com/orchards/united-states/michigan

I've been pretty spoiled the past few years with my LHBS's annual pressing event.

If you can get some friends together, that definitely lowers the cost and increases your options. Most presses source their apples in 22 bushel bins, and get 3+ gallons per bushel. To get a nice blend, you are going to want at least 2 and preferably 3 apple varieties, so if you can buy ~120 or ~180 gallons from the press in one shot, that makes it a lot easier for them. We usually pay 3.75/gal for ~180 gal and have access to just about any commercial apple that is in season. Also in Virginia, brewers can buy unpasteurized juice if it is bought directly at the press location. Most presses are not keen on disconnecting their pasteurization equipment to fill a couple carboys, but if you are getting enough to make it worth their while, they can do it.

I'm getting 5 gallons out of 2 bushels of apples. The juice apples are running between $4-$8 a bushel, I have a few trees of my own and if you look around town, there are apples available for free in people's yard if you ask for them.

This is the fun way to do it. After a while, people with trees will start calling you up and ask you if you want their apples. It does take a bit of time though.

Bought 6 gallons from a place called Maple Leaf Orchard, they are just West of Spring Valley, WI. It is about 45 minutes from Saint Paul, MN. I paid $6 gallon for fresh off the press cider.

It was really good before I ever pitched the yeast. My kids were pretty mad that I wrecked that much Apple Cider. I told them they will understand someday.

http://www.mapleleaforchard.com/

Local orchard near me fills my buckets for $3.50/gal when they press on Fridays. I guess I can't really complain about the price going up .50 from last year :D

Now they are going to stick their fingers in your carboy to teach you to share a little more:) WVMJ

Bought 6 gallons from a place called Maple Leaf Orchard, they are just West of Spring Valley, WI. It is about 45 minutes from Saint Paul, MN. I paid $6 gallon for fresh off the press cider.

It was really good before I ever pitched the yeast. My kids were pretty mad that I wrecked that much Apple Cider. I told them they will understand someday.

http://www.mapleleaforchard.com/

Literally just ran out on my lunch break and got 5 gal of cider @ $6.99 per. I guess that's around the going rate. Add in the 2 lbs of local honey @ $17.99 + yeast and I'm around $52, up in higher end kit territory. Oh well. Actually worked out well because this place is the only local orchard that pasteurizes their cider which saves me a step. I'm just hoping if I can get this going in the next couple of days it will finish in time for Thanksgiving.

Have you considered pressing your own? You should be able to get it under $5 per gallon that way depending on your methods.

I paid $16 for a 40lb box of juicing quality apples but that was delivered to a drop site in the Seattle area. Pick your own or driving out to the country brings that cost down to maybe $10 per 40lb box.

I planted a dozen traditional cider trees 5 years ago. Lost a couple, but the remaining 10 are starting to produce now. Another 20 will go in the ground this spring. My wife bought me a press for Christmas, so I'll be pressing my own this fall.

Until now I've been making a couple gallons a year with juice from a local orchard with many old heirloom varieties of apples.

What kind of apples did you plant? Out of curiosity, do you know what killed the couple that failed? WVMJ

I planted a dozen traditional cider trees 5 years ago. Lost a couple, but the remaining 10 are starting to produce now. Another 20 will go in the ground this spring. My wife bought me a press for Christmas, so I'll be pressing my own this fall.

Until now I've been making a couple gallons a year with juice from a local orchard with many old heirloom varieties of apples.

I originally picked a mix of NA, UK and French varieties that would provide a blend of sweet, sharp, bittersharp and mostly bittersweet: Arshmeads Kernal, Blenheim Orange, Brown Snout, Chisel Jersey, Dabinet, Esopus Spitzenburg, Hewes Crab, Grimes Golden, Kingston Black, Major, Muscadet de Dieppe, Roxbury Russet and Yarlington Mill.

The Dabinet died from wet feet in a poor draining area during a year of heavy rain. The Brown Snout couldn't hack the -20F in Jan-2014.

My target now is 12 from each region with an aim for a tannin heavy, dry cider from the UK trees, medium dry to medium sweet from the French, and whatever seems fit based on the fruit from the NA trees. I'll just about be there after this spring's grafting and plantings. Of course it'll be 4-5 before I'm getting fruit from them all. Something to look forward to.

I originally picked a mix of NA, UK and French varieties that would provide a blend of sweet, sharp, bittersharp and mostly bittersweet: Arshmeads Kernal, Blenheim Orange, Brown Snout, Chisel Jersey, Dabinet, Esopus Spitzenburg, Hewes Crab, Grimes Golden, Kingston Black, Major, Muscadet de Dieppe, Roxbury Russet and Yarlington Mill.

The Dabinet died from wet feet in a poor draining area during a year of heavy rain. The Brown Snout couldn't hack the -20F in Jan-2014.

My target now is 12 from each region with an aim for a tannin heavy, dry cider from the UK trees, medium dry to medium sweet from the French, and whatever seems fit based on the fruit from the NA trees. I'll just about be there after this spring's grafting and plantings. Of course it'll be 4-5 before I'm getting fruit from them all. Something to look forward to.

All blends or will you be making some single varietals too.

Depends on the apples. I purposefully picked out several varieties known to make vintage cider.

I've already made an unbelievable amount of cider in my daydreaming sessions picking out varieties, pruning, and just staring at the walls. We'll see how the real stuff turns out someday.

I get mine from an orchard, still getting it now at $6 a Gallon. I also press my own apples. Apple Juice is garbage compared to it.

You need a Calloas in there to represent the Spanish cidermakers:) Your orchard sounds like ours. We also are putting in a few Harrisons, Graniwinkles and Campfields just to see how they turn out, the Harrisons have a lot of polyphenols etc over regular apples. We are working on characterising what we hope is a bittersweet wildling, need to get more apples off of it to be sure, the darn thing is growing in the middle of a big frost pocket.

I have also seen where lots of people plant the french and english varieties and then pull them up because they perform so poorly here on the east coast, but you guys are in a different world out there as far as growing apples so very good luck to your new plantings.

WVMJ

From what I've read of Spanish ciders, I think I'd like the style. I've sampled English and French ciders here and overseas, but I have yet to find any Sidra. I also haven't noticed Spanish varieties in nurseries. Thank goodness, that might prompt more planting. Although in sure it's more technique than varietal that drives their flavor profiles.

The going price for most orchards here is $8/gallon.

Harrison and Campfield are two of my final target pieces of my puzzle. But I'll wait another year when I have rootstock propagated.

I've been using "Country Acres" brand apple cider, which I believe I got at my local Food Lion (or similar grocery store), in 1-gallon plastic milk-style jugs.

It was just the first cider I happened to see, and it said "100% apple cider - freshly pressed pasteurized" on the front, so I decided to use it for my first try at home-brew hard cider.

It wasn't until after I got home and started looking for instructions online that I bothered to check to see if it has preservatives. It does ("<.1% Potassium Sorbate to maintain freshness"), but it doesn't seem to contain enough to cause any serious problems: I used it anyway to see what happens, and it fermented up with no problems.

One thing I did do a little different from the kit instructions I used as a guide, was I also bought some 100% juice frozen fruit juice concentrate, poured a can of the concentrate into my carbuoy, and withheld a can of cider when adding the gallon of cider to the carbuoy - basically I traded a can of cider for a can of concentrated fruit juice, to help add a little extra to the cider for the yeast to work with. (First batch was a can of "Great Value" brand apple juice concentrate, which was cheap but pure juice concentrate with no preservatives and worked just fine; for the second batch, I'm using Welch's white grape/peach/pear juice concentrate, from 100% juice with no preservatives. I simply drank the can of cider un-fermented.)

The resulting cider struck me as not smelling at all like apples (I guess I was expecting something similar to Redd's Apple Ale or Angry Orchard hard cider in scent, I'm not sure what they do differently). It had a mild scent and flavor like water and alcohol, but not very strong, not unpleasant, and I worried at first that the yeast got killed off by the preservatives in the cider before fermentation got very far. It turned out to be MUCH stronger than I expected, though - wow! I'll definitely make more.

Anyway, "Country Acres" cider, as an impulse buy from one of my local chain grocery stores, seems to work great to me.

Last edited:
Back