Where do you buy your bulk malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LLBrewer

Reaction score
Locally I can get 50 lb sacks of malt for 48.99 or 68.99 for 55 lb sacks of the belgian/british malts. I've looked at some on line sources that are cheaper but the shipping is outrageously expensive. So where do you buy your bulk malts and how much do you pay?

Same. LHBS. Unless you don't live anywhere near one, it'll almost always be the cheapest option unless you get into group buys.

Look in the group buy section for one going on in your area. It's right below the for sale items. You would be surprised how much you can save by getting in on one.

+1
Group buying drive down the price two ways: 1) Though bulk purchases from a distributor. 2) Lower per-bag-shipping costs for the larger shipments.

Our last group buy had the shipping cost down to just a little over $2.00 per 50 lb bag

I visited northern brewer yesterday. Can't beat 35$ for a sack of 2 row!

I'll prob try to stop there whenever I get to the cities now. The shipping cost totally kills the deal.

If anyone in ND needs grain we could prob work something out!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No brew supply stores near me, so I do a group buy in at a store in Vegas called U Bottle It ! and when it comes in I drive 1 1/2 hrs to pick it up, last trip was 400+ lbs of grain.

Cheers :mug:

Direct from malting company (40 minute drive away), $25 for a 55lb sack ($40-45 for the organic malts).

Gambrinus Malting company in Armstrong BC. Such a great thing to have so close!

I agree!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sometimes I have so much extra grain on hand I just throw it out...

haha jk, I make a couple big runs a year and treasure living this close to a malting company :D

Back