where do you buy hops from?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
For all of my last brews, I have just been buying hops when I buy the kit or put a kit together myself @ about $2 per ounce.

I recently decided to buy them in bulk but have been trying to find the best prices.

What stores am I missing to do comparison shopping?
Here are the ones I know about -

Niko's
yakimavalleyhops
hopsdirect

Thanks!

Freshops.com also sells in bulk. I always order from hopsdirect. I'm sure the others are great but I've had good experiences with hopsdirect and their prices are very reasonable so I have no reason to take my business elsewhere. Their "pound" is usually 17+ ounces. So there's bonus value.

If you just need a few ounces of a particular hop that's where it gets tougher to find good prices. I think BMW and some of the other shops sell in 2-4oz packages fairly cheaply. I seem to think farmhouse brewing supply (Steelers77 on here) sells 4oz bags at a good price.

Farmhouse Brewing Supply is where I buy the majority of my hops. They always have a great selection and their prices/oz are about what you would pay at Hops Direct, only FBS has a MUCH better selection that Hops Direct.

Hopsdirect and Farmhouse Brewing Supply for most of them. Sometimes, I'll get them from Northern Brewer.

I noticed many of you said hopsdirect but how are the shipping costs to you? When I tried to buy a pound, the shipping costs were more than the hops themselves!
$10.35 for hops - $10.57 for ups ground

Yep that's about right. You have to buy a few lbs for shipping to be reasonable. I bought 5 lbs earlier in the year and shipping was around $15.

Back