where do the big beers come from?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donthoseme

Reaction score
Ok i know this is a long shot but here goes.....

I'm trying to track down the origin of big beers in the US. I know Russian Imperial Stouts, Barleywines, and big Belgians have been around for a long time but, when and where did IIPAs, Double Wits, Imperial Pilsners, Imperial Reds, and Wheat Wines come from? I know it was fairly recently and in the US mostly. If there are specific breweries or areas and times i would really appreciate it. Or even better would be articles where i can reference it. Please push me in the right direction.

Matt

I'm not sure there is a definitive answer to this. It won't be one of those things where everybody was drinking BMC and then out from left field comes a monster 1.120 OG brew, I'm sure it was a slow process to build up to it (and they are still going up)

Ok i know this is a long shot but here goes.....

I'm trying to track down the origin of big beers in the US. I know Russian Imperial Stouts, Barleywines, and big Belgians have been around for a long time but, when and where did IIPAs, Double Wits, Imperial Pilsners, Imperial Reds, and Wheat Wines come from? I know it was fairly recently and in the US mostly. If there are specific breweries or areas and times i would really appreciate it. Or even better would be articles where i can reference it. Please push me in the right direction.

Matt

Some of the first big IPAs were Vinnie C's Blind Pig and John Maier's I2PA. Rogue has also had an Imperial Pilsner for quite a while, longer than SA I think. Heck now that I think of it, Santa's Private Reserve was a pretty early version of the big amber/red.

I think it's just our country's way of doing things. Do they have the Triple Whopper in any other country? No other country needs 18 cup holders in a mini van. We do it bigger. That's kinda our thing I guess. Not necessarily better, just usually bigger. Hoppier, maltier, higher abv, more 'merican!

I think it's just our country's way of doing things. Do they have the Triple Whopper in any other country? No other country needs 18 cup holders in a mini van. We do it bigger. That's kinda our thing I guess. Not necessarily better, just usually bigger. Hoppier, maltier, higher abv, more 'merican!

And if you're lucky, with bacon!!!

Back