Where did I go wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bcray

Reaction score
I spent some time yesterday trying to make a 2 gallon batch of barleywine, just to try my hand at it. Here's the grain bill I used:

8lb Maris Otter
2lb Crystal 20
1lb Crystal 10
.5lb rice hulls

Mashed in 5 gallons of water for 75 minutes at 154 to yield 3 into the kettle which I boiled for 70 minutes down to 2.125 gallons.

According to the BrewR android app that I set to 54% I should have ended up with 1.113. I hit 1.085. that's about 43% :(

I milled my own grain, and usually hit 78% with my system.

Was the lack of sparge where I went wrong here? Could that really have effected the efficiency that much to not do it? I thought that was a common thing with barleywines.

EDIT: forgot rice hulls

hopsalot

Reaction score
yes, quick sparging can noticeably affect your efficiency much less the not sparging at all. Next time take a gravity reading before you boil, this will let you know what your gravity will be post boil allowing you to plan ahead. For example if you have a low gravity you can correct with dry malt extract.

OP
bcray

bcray

Reaction score
yes, quick sparging can noticeably affect your efficiency much less the not sparging at all. Next time take a gravity reading before you boil, this will let you know what your gravity will be post boil allowing you to plan ahead. For example if you have a low gravity you can correct with dry malt extract.
So how is the post boil gravity determined by the pre boil reading? Is it a simple matter of increasing the reading by the percentage of water lost? Or is it a more complex calculation?

hopsalot

Reaction score
volume inital * starting gravity = volume final * original gravity

so if you know your SG and initial volmue and assume your final volume you can calculate your OG.

hopsalot

Reaction score
example

SG: 1.042
V initial: 6
V final:: 5

convert SG to GU

GU = (SG - 1)*1000

42*6 = OG*5

(42*6)/5 = OG

OG = 50.4 or 1.050

mlg5039

Reaction score
Do you normally brew no sparge?

I think you would have had better efficiency if you mashed much thinner and then batch sparged.

OP
bcray

bcray

Reaction score
Do you normally brew no sparge?

I think you would have had better efficiency if you mashed much thinner and then batch sparged.
No I usually do a double batch sparge. At the time it made sense but looking back on it now it seems rather obvious that I would have problems :)

Oh well hindsight is 20/20 I guess. I think next time I will go back to 1.25 qt/lb and then batch sparge to hit enough volume for a 120 minute boil.