Where can I get my cider judged?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbstl68

Reaction score
I'm not looking to win any contests. I think my first batch of cider turned out pretty good but that's my opinion, with no experience or anything other than store stuff to compare it to personally.
What I think is "drinkable", or at least wont kill me, a seasoned judge or other expert used to what a good home brewed cider done well should taste like may think otherwise.
I'd like to get the opinion of an expert or two as to how my cider tastes and how it could be improved.
I'm near St. Louis, mo.
Any contests I have found on line in the area so far are always just for home brew beer.

I'm not looking to win any contests. I think my first batch of cider turned out pretty good but that's my opinion, with no experience or anything other than store stuff to compare it to personally.
What I think is "drinkable", or at least wont kill me, a seasoned judge or other expert used to what a good home brewed cider done well should taste like may think otherwise.
I'd like to get the opinion of an expert or two as to how my cider tastes and how it could be improved.
I'm near St. Louis, mo.
Any contests I have found on line in the area so far are always just for home brew beer.

Well if you want to be daring try this, the judges are the grand poobahs of apple juice and yeast

http://glintcap.org/

Or just try something local

http://www.ciderguide.com/cider-festivals/

Thanks!
I knew there had to be a site out there somewhere.
You sure this guy's are grand poobas?...the site says it is looking for interested volunteers to be judges.

Most larger BJCP comps have categories for mead and cider. Now, most BJCP judges (myself included) are not particularly familiar with them. But it's a start. I assume the comp linked above is the cider equivalent of the Mazer Cup (THE big mead comp as far as I'm aware)?

I'm near St. Louis, mo.

I am also from stl. There was a thread on here a while back about homebrew contests, and the guy who'd started it at entered his cider in a big homebrew contest here in stl. I looked back at the thread but the link he provided isn't working.

There were apparently over 600 entries and it was a fairly large competition held here in stl. I know it was in the winter, around nov-dec time frame. I will post the link if I can get it to open.

Thanks!
I knew there had to be a site out there somewhere.
You sure this guy's are grand poobas?...the site says it is looking for interested volunteers to be judges.

Here is a list of the current judges for GLINTCAP, I think the volunteers are slated to be stewards, but that's how you learn.

JULIAN TEMPERLEY
Somerset Cider Brandy Company and Burrow Hill Cider
Somerset, England

NEIL MACDONALD
Orchard Pig
Somerset, England

STEVE WOOD
Farnum Hill Ciders
New Hampshire

NICOLE LEIBON

Farnum Hill Ciders
New Hampshire
CHARLES MCGONEGAL
AeppelTreow Winery & Distillery
Wisconsin

DAN YOUNG
Tandem Cider
Michigan

BRYAN ULBRICH
Left Foot Charley
Michigan

JEN MACKEY
Taproot Cider House
Michigan

CHRIS HAWORTH
West Avenue Cider Company
Ontario

BRIAN RUTZEN
The Northman
Illinois

AMBROSIA BOROWSKI
The Northman
Illinois

DAN PUCCI
Wassail
New York

NICK GUNN
Wandering Aengus Ciderworks
Oregon

DAVE TAKUSH
2 Towns Ciderhouse
Oregon

RYAN BURK
Angry Orchard Cider Company
New York

BRENT MILES
Seattle Cider Company
Washington

DAVE WHITE
Whitewood Cider Co.
Washington

ANDREW BYERS
Finnriver Farm & Cidery
Washington

BRAD PAGE
Colorado Cider Company
Colorado

SCOTT DONOVAN
BlackBird Cider Works
New York

GIDON COLL
Original Sin Hard Cider
New York

Yeah, GLINTCAP is open to both professional and amateur cider makers (different tracks). I think that it is one very serious competition...

GLINTCAP judges are volunteers, in that they are not being paid to judge, and are giving their time freely. They applied to be judges and are vetted by the competition organizers based on merit & experience. It's the most well respected cider competition in the US IMO and a great place to get educated feedback on your cider from folks who know what they're talking about.

. . . I may be biased since I'll be judging this year.

Thanks for the info and feedback.
After reviewing the site, it looks like the judge qualifications are quite legit.
I think I'll submit a few bottles and hope for some feedback good or bad.

Now...what's the safest way to ship a few bottles intact? Been looking over the site and see the usual bubble wrap and pack tight suggestions...(I did just that w some wine from Europe and still a few did not make it).

Anyone have any packing tips?

I thought privately mailing any type of alcohol was illegal but I'm not seeing any mention of it anywhere?...

Why not join your local home brew club? I am certain that the members will offer you good feedback in a far more informal manner and the cost of that feedback will be far less than the $20 that this competition charges for each bottle entered. Moreover, brew clubs tend to meet monthly so you can make a batch get regular feedback several times a year as you tweak your process and practice - feedback that you can ask questions on and so receive real practical assistance ...

Back