where can I get Crystal 105? or whats a good substitue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinglejohn

Reaction score
Im looking to brew the "Can you brew it?" Brown Shugga clone and cannot find 105 anywhere. Anyone know whats up with it?

I just listened to the show again after reading this question because I myself brewed the clone recipe two weeks ago and do not remember using a crystal 105.

Well it turns out there is a little bit of a discrepancy between the recipe Jeremy(the head brewer of Lagunitas) gives and the recipe Tasty uses to clone the beer.

The grist as Jeremy gives it verbatim is :
71.6% - 2row
17 - wheat malt
4.5 - munich 10L
4.7 - c 50-60
1.3 - c 120
1 - c 135-165

And for the clone Tasty switches the C 120 to the C-105 and the C-135-165 to C-150.

FWIW I had to switch the C-135-165 to Special B as I could not get the former but I figured all was gravy since it's about 150L which is right in the middle.

Also, I ended up getting all fancy and switching out the namesake brown sugar for the Deep Amber cooked mailard sugar from this thread.

Anyways, even with the changes that Tasty made the guys from Lagunitas still decided that he had successfully cloned the beer so I sure no matter what you choose it'll be bomb as hell.

P.S. I'm only about a 20 minute bike ride to the brewery and in the show Jeremy mentions that if anyone is to try and clone the beers that he would love to try them. I just may have to take him up on that offer.

you can use more crystal of a lower number

Unless you're talking something very similar on the color spectrum, that doesn't really work. A pound of crystal 20 is definitely not the same as 4oz of crystal 80. If you're close enough for this kind of conversion to be workable, you're usually best off keeping the amount the same.

not saying it is. you can use something like beersmith to scale it out, though. and if everything needs to be specific, might need to ask the judges what they'll accept

Maybe I'm just being dense, but I'm not sure I follow you. Beersmith allows for the creation of entries, so you can make a listing for crystal 105 if you happen to find it. What judges are you talking about?

Anyway, Briess makes a crystal malt at both 90L and 120L, so one of those, or a combination of both, might be feasible.

if you specifically need crystal 105, and can't substitute, it's for a competition, and only judges care. what i mean is crystal 100 or 120 should work

Good infor, thanks scroto

I just listened to the show again after reading this question because I myself brewed the clone recipe two weeks ago and do not remember using a crystal 105.

Well it turns out there is a little bit of a discrepancy between the recipe Jeremy(the head brewer of Lagunitas) gives and the recipe Tasty uses to clone the beer.

The grist as Jeremy gives it verbatim is :
71.6% - 2row
17 - wheat malt
4.5 - munich 10L
4.7 - c 50-60
1.3 - c 120
1 - c 135-165

And for the clone Tasty switches the C 120 to the C-105 and the C-135-165 to C-150.

FWIW I had to switch the C-135-165 to Special B as I could not get the former but I figured all was gravy since it's about 150L which is right in the middle.

Also, I ended up getting all fancy and switching out the namesake brown sugar for the Deep Amber cooked mailard sugar from this thread.

Anyways, even with the changes that Tasty made the guys from Lagunitas still decided that he had successfully cloned the beer so I sure no matter what you choose it'll be bomb as hell.

P.S. I'm only about a 20 minute bike ride to the brewery and in the show Jeremy mentions that if anyone is to try and clone the beers that he would love to try them. I just may have to take him up on that offer.

Back