Where can I find the absolute highest quality hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefost

Reaction score
I've been using pellet hops from a few online dealers, and I'm starting to question their quality.

Thinking back I remember I once bought a bag of centennial whole hops (I think from hop union) and they smelled absolutely amazing! I just wanted to bury my face in those hops. They produced the best IPA I ever made.

None of the 10 pounds of 2013 co2 flushed vacuum sealed pellet hops in my fridge elicit anywhere near the same reaction.

So my question is, regardless of price, where are the freshest, highest quality hops that homebrewers can get?

I think the most obvious answer is to grow your own, but my Zeus, Willamette, and Centennial only combine in so many ways. I've always been content with what I can get at my LBS, but I'd also be interested in who likes what from the online shops!

Either go online and look for the newest harvest you can or if you live in the right area, get to know a farmer. I ask for a whiff of the bulk bag at the local brew shop and they're happy to tell me when they were harvested - I tend to get my popular hops from there ( fuggles, goldings & N.brewer round here ) as they have a rapid turnover and go online for anything fancy.

I don't use pellets but I doubt you'd get the same aroma as loose hops simply because they've been compressed to reduce the surface area and limit oxidation.

HopsDirect- I havebought from a lot of the online sources for bulk hops, and HopsDirect was by far the best product. Ridiculously fresh. You may want to wait until October when the new harvest is in, and buy several pounds to last you the year. Just keep them sealed and frozen until you need them.

hopsdirect and yakima valley quality have been fantastic.

hopsdirect's release of product has annoyed me, though. 1-3 varieties per week as they pelletize them means shipping costs constitute a huge chunk of the cost.

HopsDirect- I havebought from a lot of the online sources for bulk hops, and HopsDirect was by far the best product. Ridiculously fresh. You may want to wait until October when the new harvest is in, and buy several pounds to last you the year. Just keep them sealed and frozen until you need them.

Agreed!

I buy from hopsdirect.com, and freshops.com, once the fall harvest is done, and buy them by the pound. I store them in the freezer, and they are great.

Repacking, having a store not keep them frozen, etc, can all allow oxygen in the packaging and that is what stales hops.

Back