Where can I find fancy 22 ounce bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do a Utopias-like brew. It's going to be a beast at between 22-25% alcohol. No carbonation. The 2 gallon batch will involve a 8-10 hour boil, 5 gallon starter beer followed by champagne yeast and finished with 099.

This beer is going to be a hell of a project and will be aged for at least 6-months to a year.

All that said, I want bottles that reflect the planning, effort and (hopefully) quality of this brew.

Does anyone have a source for fancy 22-ounce bottles? I need a dozen. Corked is preferred, but not necessary.

You might have to go with either 500 ml (16.9 oz) or 750 ml (25.4 oz) to find the style you are looking for. Austin Homebrew or Midwest, have decent selections of swingtop bottles. Midwest has a cobalt blue swingtop in either 16 oz or 32 oz if you want a little color.

Might have to make friends with a local brewery to find out what other options exists if you want something beyond the typically stocked bottles at the HBS.

I ran a quick search for commercial brewery supplies and found my way to bottle suppliers that had very little pricing and quantity info.

The 2 gallon batch will involve a 8-10 hour boil, 5 gallon starter beer followed by champagne yeast and finished with 099.

going from champagne to 099 probably won't work. champagne is a killer yeast and will suppress brewers yeast like 099. skip the wine yeast and go from your primary yeast to 099. alternately you could try a non-killer wine yeast like 71-B but i've seen some people doubt it's non-killer nature.

going from champagne to 099 probably won't work. champagne is a killer yeast and will suppress brewers yeast like 099. skip the wine yeast and go from your primary yeast to 099. alternately you could try a non-killer wine yeast like 71-B but i've seen some people doubt it's non-killer nature.

I've heard this before too and my original plan was to just use 2 yeasts, but the guy at my LHBS said he had success reaching 25% using this method. I'll have to ask him if it was a special strain of champagne yeast or something.

Can't help with the bottles...but please document your creation for us...:)

Here's the 5 gallon "starter":

Shred's Belgian Pale Ale

7 lbs Maris Otter
2 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lbs Caramunich Malt
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
4.0 oz Wheat, Flaked

1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min

1.0 pkg Abbey Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG