where can I find a good thermometer locally?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
My LHBS doesn't even carry thermometers. Is there someplace, like a big box store or a hardware store (or something else) that carries a thermometer worthy of All-Grain brewing (I think my last batch overattenuated because my crappy candy-thermometer is off)? what should I look for in a thermometer and how much should I expect to spend?

Any specialty gardening centers or similar? I'd recommend a K-probe thermocouple as their accuracy is simply amazing; got mine from an orchid grower I know locally.

Target. Any that has marks from at least 0deg C to 100 deg C you can easily check by boiling some water and checking that it says 100 deg C assuming you are around sea level and then check it in a bowl of ice and water it should read 0 deg C. The one that came with my turkey frier was horrible. I calibrated it to boiling water and then checked it at lower temps and was off by 20 deg.

Back