Where can I find a good stainless steel brew pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BucksPA

Reaction score
New to forum here. Plenty of info to be found here. I'm looking to find a 32 Quart Stainless Steel Pot and just cant seem to find them anywhere for less than $80. Used would be fine too.

Anybody know anywhere to get one for a reasonable price?

Jeff

You can find one here for less than $80, but I would reccomend aluminum or converting a keg if you want to get cheaper.

SS is $$

Aluminum works great and is easy to care for.

32 quarts is almost the bare minimum for full boils on 5 gallon batches. I would try to get a 40qt pot.

Anyone know what thickness the AHS pot is?

I've been temped to buy this one. Has aluminum cored bottom and 21 gauge material for $90 including S/H. This thing is 16 5/8" diameter and 12" high. Plenty for adding the 14" LD heating element for a nice E-kettle project I'm getting into.

thanks for the info. I'll get a 40 qt pot, but finding one is tough. I'm going to peruse salvation army and other salvaged goods stores in hopes of a cheap buy. I dont want aluminum.

In regards to stainless steel thickness, one should know that an 18 gauge stockpot is almost double the thickness of a 23. With that being said, a 21 gauge is probably almost too thin.

32 quarts isn't terrible. I have one, and I have never had a boil over in it. However, it is also pretty short and wide, so perhaps that helps?

If you find a great deal on a 32 quart I wouldn't pass it up.

If you're really looking to go cheap, and can do split boils, these work pretty well

http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Pacific-Trading-Stainless-Stockpot/dp/B000CEOJ1K/ref=pd_sbs_k_1

I used the largest 2 for split boils for about 5 batches before I got a turkey fryer.

They are pretty thin, tho, and a little smaller the advertised. I think the 20qt actually holds about 4.5 gallons, and you could only boil like 3.5 in it comfortably. But they only cost 35 bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the info. I'll get a 40 qt pot, but finding one is tough. I'm going to peruse salvation army and other salvaged goods stores in hopes of a cheap buy. I dont want aluminum.

In regards to stainless steel thickness, one should know that an 18 gauge stockpot is almost double the thickness of a 23. With that being said, a 21 gauge is probably almost too thin.

Don't fear the aluminum. I have a 60 qt pot I bought for about $65.

No problems.

the cheapest place Ive found for an alluminium pot is Foodcity 40qt for 30$ its not the heftiest pot but for the price I cant beat it

32 quart pots are fine -- just use fermcap/foam control drops. Plenty of room once the threat of a boilover has been eliminated.

I have a 30 qt. SS Proctor-Silex pot that I found on sale at Cooking.com for $40 delivered, but that was two years ago. I can do 6.5 gal. AG boils in a 7.5 gal. pot- but I use Fermcap-S in the boil, which obviates the foam problem.

Back